Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower - extreme temps
Author: wc003 (PA)

Hi. My shower is either pumping out extreme hot water or extreme cold water --- no mixing/warm water. It is a single lever shower with a thermostatic cartridge (Rohl or Altman). Trying to find the in-between temperatures by moving the lever left and right only gets very hot or very cold. I tried soaking the old cartridge in apple cider vinegar with the same results. I also purchased a new cartridge and that didn't help either. Is there something I need to calibrate? What am I doing wrong? Please help... I am plumbing newbie.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Shower - extreme temps
Author: packy (MA)

which valve do you have? i believe rohl valves have integral stops and filter screens. could be that if the screen/s are clogged it affects the operation of the thermostatic control.
i'm just guessing because normally what you have done would cure the problem.

I originally thought maybe over time that hard minerals has built up in the filter on the cartridge as you mentioned. So tried soaking it in cider vinegar for 2 days but did not help. I finally gave up and bought a new one and installed it, but the issue remains. I am stumped and my local plumber was no help...

that is why i asked what valve you have. i believe there are filters on the inlets H/C.
but i need to see which you have so i can hopefully tell you how to access them for cleaning.

Appreciate your input. big grin

I believe I have a Rohl C7912 or Altmans HCART. They are identical. Appreciate your input.

Edited 1 times.

you have to understand that i am taking a guess here.
do you have this type valve?
[www.decorativeplumbing.com]
there are filter screens at the inlets. if i were there i would disassemble the stops to see if the screen/s were clogged. i'm not saying this is the problem. i'm saying you need to rule out that possibility before trying another (very pricey) cartridge.
as i said before, what you have done should have cured the problem and it is quite puzzling why it didn't.
so, to me, the logical answer would be to look for debris that is causing the thermostatic catridge to overcompensate for an uneven flow of water..
i rest my case...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.