Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pipe still frozen??
Author: horsie48 (PA)

Hi, Last week we came home from a 3 week trip and when my husband turned the water on, we had leaking pipes. It was also cold in the house, 40 degrees. When we left we turned off the water and left the heat on 55. Called a plumber and he came over, fixed the leak and said that the circulator on the furnace was broken. He replaced that, and some type of gauge that was upstairs. Before he left we had heat in 2 of our 3 zones. The zone in the basement and the downstairs works. The master bedroom which is downstairs, and the entire upstairs does not. He said the pipes were still frozen. Since then we have used space heaters, hair dryers and my husband bought some type of electric tape he put on the pipe in the garage. We aren't sure if/or where the frozen pipe is. The plumber came back and bled the furnace? a few times, and nothing yet. It's been a week and I'm wondering if the pipes can stay frozen that long, or if it could be another problem with the furnace. It's a System 2000 and it's only 4 years old. We do have water and some heat. We've been running space heaters almost 24/7. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Pipe still frozen??
Author: hj (AZ)

You do NOT "bleed" the boiler, you bleed the radiation and since it is the top level that is not heating, I would suspect inadequate water pressure and a plumber who doesn't know about heat.

I'm sorry, I knew he bled something. My husband isn't here, and I'm trying to figure this out since it's driving us both crazy. I'll tell him about the water pressure. We do have good water pressure when we run the faucets/shower. It's hot. I don't know anything about this but I just can't believe there's nothing to do and wait until the pipes unfreeze. Common sense tells me that's not right.
Thanks for your advice.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You mentioned "Heat Tape" and not Heat Cord. Frost-tex makes heat cord and much more effective and safer product. You can wrap your pipes several times and still add insulation. Are you hand feeling your pipes for temperature?
Thermo Sense (guns) work well in determining temps from a distance.

Best Wishes

Author: packy (MA)

buy an infrared thermometer.
[www.google.com]
they are worth their weight in gold when you trying to find a frozen pipe.they are not that expensive.
check the temperature of all the pipes yoo suspect are frozen.
feeling pipes with your hand can be misleading.
if the pipe feels very cold but you get a reading of 37 or 38 deg F it is not frozen. keep checking temperatures until you find a pipe that reads below freezing. usually will read 27 or 28..

Your heating system water pressure has NOTHING to do with the pressure in your showers. THey are two different things.

Thank you. We will try that, but we still don't think a pipe is frozen. The plumber sent someone to bleed the radiator upstairs and water came out.

We called the System 2000 co. this morning. My husband checked the circulator that the plumber put on. It was a 005 Series, 1/40 hp. The old circulator was a 007, 1/25 hp. They said that you need a 007 for this system.

So now we have to see if that's the problem all along.

Not likely. A pump only has to "move" water, it doesn't have to "pump it up to the upper levels". If water came out of those "radiators" then it has sufficient pressure and you have some other problem, but someone who knows about hot water heating, may have to be there to check it out.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.