Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ptrap
Author: Harvey (Non-US)

This has baffled me and plumbers. My neighbour had a basement bathroom built 30 years ago
I replaced the old toilet a year ago to a low flush. Everything has been working fine until the city turned off the water for 2 days to repair a broken main. Now the toilet will not drain. I removed it and there appears to be a p trap below the toilet. I pour water down and it drains. The water level is about 5" down the hole and does not change no matter how much water I pour down the hole. I placed the toilet in the shower and found no obstruction. I poured water in the bowl and it drains fine. I reinstalled the toilet and it would not drain again. How is it that it worked all this time and now there seams to be an air lock between the 2 p traps. I would guess venting but how?

Re: Ptrap
Author: packy (MA)

something does not make sense here.
if there truly is a p-trap the toilet would never have flushed irregardless of the city turning water off and back on..

Author: Harvey (Non-US)

That is what I thought. It has worked fine for 30 years

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Auger the toilet. The city turning the water on or off has no bearing on the drain system at all, only the supply.

Author: hj (AZ)

You say it "baffles plumbers", which implies that they have checked it and it DOES have a trap under the floor. IF so, the ONLY way it might have flushed is if it had a "healthy" amount of water to do the flush and force itself past the second trap.

Author: sum (FL)

Not a plumber, but if you pour water down the bowl and it drains, but flushing doesn't, then it seems to suggest what hj said that there isn't enough water when you flush to push the water through the double trap.

May be when the city did its repair debris got into the pipes? Then it made its way into your toilet tank and clogged up the flush valve pathway or rim holes to the point that the flush is slowed below the needed thrust to create the siphon?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.