Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Nut is rusted to a spinning anchor bolt
Author: CowboyRon (CA)

I have a nut that is thoroughly rusted onto the toilet anchor bolt. I tried applying a penetrant, gave it a few hours to let it sit, but when I went to attempt to remove the nut I found that I was just spinning the anchor bolt. Moreover, there is only 1/4 of an inch of the bolt protruding above the nut. Any ideas on how I can get this corroded wonder off?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Nut is rusted to a spinning anchor bolt
Author: packy (MA)

i would very , very carefully try to pry the nut and washer up enough to get a hacksaw blade under it.
you have to be careful not to crack the porcelain toilet base.
congradulations to whoever installed a toilet with steel bolts and nuts. you save a dollar and caused many dollars in headaches...
BTW, kohler toilets sold thru the big box stores come as a complete package with wax ring and (that's right) steel closet bolts and nuts. anyone who buys one should also buy some brass bolts and nuts and toss the steel away..

Author: hj (AZ)

USe a hacksaw to cut the nut into two halves then pry them away from the bolt with a screwdriver.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A hacksaw will work, although a roto-zip with metal cutting blade would be faster.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd say, use a dremel, although some think it's too slow.

A lot of things would be "faster" but they might not have them. I would use my Milwaukee HackZaw.

Author: sum (FL)

Dremel, angle grinder, sawzall, all would work.

Thank you for your replies. clap
Author: CowboyRon (CA)

Thank you for your replies. And Packy thank you for reiterating my sentiments on whomever put in that toilet in the first place! I took the caps off, saw the rusted bolts and said, "why?"

The hack saw solution was arduous but it did work. Getting the hacksaw under the washer resulted in me hacking off half of the washer. This gave me just enough room to shove a screwdriver in the bolt hole and pin the bolt to the side. Since I had used a liberal amount of penetrant the day before I was able to use the ratchet and after playing around for a few minutes, break the rust seal.

So for the buck or so they saved by using steel nuts and bolts, it cost me a couple hours leaning over a toilet in a position that never afforded me much leverage. Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Edited 1 times.

Included in that "buck they saved" was a second set of nuts and washers that would have secured the bolt to the flange so it could NOT spin, regardless of what it was made of.

you could put 14 nuts and washers on the bolt. it won't matter as long as they are steel, they will rust and cause a problem at some time.actually, 'best practice' would be carbon molybdenum bolts with 15% silver added for corrosion resistance. they could then be gold electroplated to give added protection.
the cost would approach 145 dollars a set but you either pay now or pay later.
P/S, a little sarcasm aimed at my friend from SC.. :>winking smiley

Author: bernabeu (SC)

C46400 / CDA 464 would suffice

CuZn39Sn1

BEST practice brass alloy which resists even 'dezincification'

wink

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

14 nuts and washers would probably raise the toilet too high off the floor to grout it to the floor. I have never had a bolt which was fastened to the flange, NOT come loose, including the two I worked on this morning.

are you saying you use plated steel closet bolts??

I am saying that that was what they HAD already.

Author: TNPlumber (TN)

cheap special tool that resembles a 2 tined fork fits under nut and washer and holds while you use nut driver to get nut off. Bingo .. or a any kind sawsall w medium length metal blade.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.