Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I'm fed up with anti-scald shower
Author: Jim_M (TX)

I had my walk-in shower redone a couple years ago and it has a single handle Delta anti-scald control. (90-degree rotation handle throw). In the winter, I can barely get luke-warm water out of it when it is on full Hot. The water pipes in the ground and in the walls are so much colder in the winter than in the summer. The water coming out of the water heater is hot enough... the lavatory (older) and washing machine can be adjusted for the water temperature desired. I live on a ranch and get my own water out of a well.

How can I fix this so I don't have to take cold showers in the winter? Non-code shower control? Dual handle controls?

Re: I'm fed up with anti-scald shower
Author: Doug E. (CA)

if possible insulate the pipes to avoid heat loss.

could bump up thermostats just a bit in the winter

learn the workings of your shower valve to see if any
temp limiting stops can be maximized.

Author: packy (MA)

this is a common problem this time of year.
there is a limit stop under the handle that can be adjusted to give you more handle rotation.

Author: m & m (MD)

Your first check should be the anti-scald feature that limits the rotation travel of the handle.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Just how hot is hot from your water heater? If your hot water is going into the ground before coming up in the bathroom? Is your Anti-Scald Valve Limit set properly.

If either hot or cold is not equal in pressure, the other side will also drop out. This explains why you may not have issues in the warmer weathers.

Best Wishes

Thanks for the replies/ideas.

I just now used a cooking thermometer to check Hot water temperatures:

lavatory (3 ft. from water heater) 150 degrees

shower (6 ft. from water heater) 105 degrees

clothes washing machine (20 ft. from water heater) 150 degrees

It's obvious the shower is letting cold water in which eliminates the chance of a good shower.

I'm no plumber, but I will take the shower cover off to see if I can find some limit adjustment.

A cooking Thermometer???

Can you imagine 150 degrees in the shower. Someone would definitely get burned. You can go to Delta's Website and download the parts and maintenance guide for your shower valve.

Best Wishes

Author: KCRoto (MO)

or simply adjust the rotational limit stop on the handle.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

...set the stop @ ROAST...........................NOT

set at 120 MAX for safety

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Someone must think we are all dolts.

I think we have survived very well by learning to adjust the water temp to a safe level on our own without the need for unnecessary safety devices to annoy us while protecting fools.

... one of the 'fools' may be a child ...

or a mother bathing a toddler when the toilet flushes and whammmo - 150 water with your scenario

best to limit the HW flow in a shower ... feel free to adjust same

ps. ? why, if you know what you are doing, did you seek the help of the dolts ?

Author: packy (MA)

he asked for our advice because his shower was too cold not too hot.
BTW, i agree with him.
how did we survive without all the foolishness uncle sap is dumping on us today?

it was accepted when our children got scalded

no publicity

part of growing up

including the 2nd degree burns from 120 (within 15 seconds for an infant)

however

they now regulate EVERYTHING in addition to the 'good stuff' rendering the 'good stuff' almost ineffective

High risk groups
Young Children
Young children have thinner skin resulting in deeper burns than adults for the same temperature and exposure time to a scalding substance. The proportion of a child’s body that is exposed to any given amount of a scalding substance is also greater: the same cup of spilled coffee will burn a much larger percent of a small child’s body. Small children also have little control of their environment, less perception of danger and less ability to escape a burning situation on their own. Children grow fast and can reach new, dangerous things every day. They do not realize that hot liquids burn like fire.

Set water heater thermostats to deliver water at a temperature no higher than 120o F

Avoid flushing toilets, running water, or using the dish- or clothes-washer while anyone is showering to avoid sudden fluctuations in water temperature.

Install anti-scald devices. Thousands of people suffer scald injuries every year due to sudden surges of hot water. Anti-scald devices, anti-scald aerators, and scald guards are heat-sensitive devices that stop or interrupt the flow of water when the temperature reaches a pre-determined temperature (generally 110 to 114 degrees, but before it reaches 120oF / 48o C.) and prevent hot water from coming out of the tap before scalding occurs. These devices will not allow the faucet to become fully operational until the water temperature is reduced to a safe level. Some devices allow the resident to preset a comfortable maximum temperature to eliminate the risk of scalding. Whole house anti-scald mixing valves installed in a hot water line are also available.

120 degrees Fahrenheit is an upper limit to safety, not a target to be aimed at.
Numerous safety brochures and public service announcements urge consumers to “set your water heater at 120 degrees”. This is a brief and misleading reference to the manufacturing standard established by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). In fact, the Commission merely requires that the thermostats of residential hot water heaters be set at the factory to deliver hot water to the tap at a temperature that does not exceed 120° F/48°C. Many consumers will find it both effective and cheaper to set their thermostats to deliver hot water at a temperature below 120 degrees.

Edited 1 times.

Amen.

When in doubt, ask your home owners insurance for their opinion on your coverage, in case of hot water burn or scalding incident.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.