Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Brass toilet flange removal
Author: mrunited (MO)

I'm replacing the subfloor in my bath and I'm wonder what is the best way to remove this flange. Looks like the 3 inch copper pipe was flared, should I bend the flaring and remove or just remove at the elbow and replace the flared pipe with new? Do I need to flare the new pipe? Best regards...........

Edited 3 times.

Re: Brass toilet flange removal
Author: hj (AZ)

I am not sure WHAT you have, but it looks like a cast iron flange with a lead/oakum connection to the copper. IF it is actually a brass flange, then it should be soldered to the copper riser and the copper should not be "flared".

Pretty sure it's cast brass, It's not magnetic.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it may not be soldered on

'un flare' it and see

if unsoldered:

cut 'riser' as low as you can - add a coupling and riser piece - proceed from there

if soldered:

same plan

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Looks soldered in this pictured.....

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Your best bet is to remove the copper drain line itself. and replace it in plastic while you have everything open. That copper is at least 50 years old and while the 3" is probably good and strong, the smaller lines will be getting pinholes soon if they don't already. The oxidation that occurs on the top of the inside of the drains can cause leaks during backups, and allow sewer gas and insects inside the house.

Author: m & m (MD)

It is a cast brass flange. The 3" copper riser was 'cut long' by 1/2" or so, then the flange was soldered on. Lastly, the plumber slot cut the excess pipe above the flange and peined it over for added strength. You can follow the above advice for dealing with it, or unsweat the copper from the ell and start anew from that point.

Author: packy (MA)

i would cut the copper right at the back end of that 3 inch "Y" and slide a no hub coupling right over it. then put a 3" PVC street 90 into it. short piece of 3" PVC up to a new flange and you'll be just fine..

Packy, if Lady Luck is on his side he'll be fine, but most likely he'll find that there is a difference between copper pattern fittings and PVC pattern fittings and the PVC 'fix' will be riding a tad high.

it's hard to tell but it looks like (his second photo) a short copper nipple between the copper 90 and the flange.
he can always use a 3" vent 90 if he needs to..

...vent 90... non-code approved for that application but we've all used them when nothing else worked. smileys with beer

the bend is no more nor less than the old cast iron closet bend that was used from the time hj was in diapers.

Thanks for your help smile

It is a cast brass flange. The 3" copper riser was 'cut long' by 1/2" or so, then the flange was soldered on. Lastly, the plumber slot cut the excess pipe above the flange and peined it over for added strength. You can follow the above advice for dealing with it, or unsweat the copper from the ell and start anew from that point

That's what I thought. I'm thinking I'd unsweat at the ell and get a new riser and sweat it to the ell and the flange. The old brass flange looks fine, is it ok to use or should I get a new one? Is it necessary to peen it over?

Thanks for your help........DC

Edited 1 times.

You should be able to unsweat the flange after bending the tabs inward. And the flange should be reusable; just wipe down the excess solder while still molten. Once its cool, take emery cloth and clean the solder residual down to the brass.

Tried unsweating the riser at the elbow, but it doesn't seem to want to come loose! What am I doing wrong?

Re: Thanks for your help smile

IT should NOT have been peened over in the first place. Doing so prevents you from just heating it and sliding it off the pipe.It looks like there is a joist right in front of the elbow, and if so, you may not have enough room to remove it without cutting the pipe.

You need a LOT of heat all the way around the joint. The whole solder joint has to be "melted" before it will come loose.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

sometimes it nice to have someone else apply the heat while the second wrestles it off with a channel locks.

Unsweat the flange first. Then cut out as much copper riser as you can but leave about 3" protruding up out of the ell. Then heat the joint from the inside of the ell to unsweat the remaining riser. ViseGrips are your friend for this job.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you will need a LARGE torch to unsweat the BRASS flange which will act as a 'heatsink'

you will need an EXPERIENCED helper

you will NOT regret having an actual plumber do the removal and new 'stub-out'

you can then 'finish' at your leisure

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.