Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Fishy smell in hot well water
Author: Jessica151 (MI)

Before I start, please excuse my lack of knowledge about well water.
We have lived in our house for about a year and a half. I know there is very high iron in our neighborhood and I was told that we have iron bacteria in the water. At first we had a very strong egg smell in the water in the mornings. We were able to minimize the smell by adding bleach to the salt tank and also changing the filters (one before the softener and one after the softener) at least once a month. A few weeks ago we had a Nelso AIO tank added to our system to eliminate the iron and sulphur. Overnight we went from having a eggs smell in the morning to a tuna fish smell (more obvious with hot water) 24 hours a day. The person that installed it has since replaced the pump tank and that has not helped. I'm am just looking for other suggestions on what it could be. We Do not have a hot water tank but a navien nr-240. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fishy smell in hot well water
Author: m & m (MD)

Have you done a complete well/house chlorination? What is the test result of the iron now that it is treated?

Edited 1 times.

We have not done anything since the tanks were added and replaced. Also the water has not been tested.

Author: m & m (MD)

A well/house chlorination is the first order of business. Your health department has dosage directions if you want to do it yourself.

There is a chance the the person that installed it did it. I will check with him tomorrow. He has been here 3 times since the tank was installed trying to solve the problem.

Author: jasonmac (FL)

not sure how new or old this post is or topic but we are searching for answers on an almost exact scenario as this. we have tried to fix it in everyday possible but are now at a loss. did you ever get answers or solution. prior to the start of this our well water never had any smell in home (5 years) then after a water man came out to see if equiptment was working properly and reset time on our softener ....shocked system little with chlorine apparently...within 3 days every entry point for water in home smells of hot tuna fish. its nauseating .

we were told to check anode rode in heater, which was bad... so we got new aluminum one and gave it days....still just as bad. no relief in sight yet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.