Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 no hot water, only cold.
Author: armysmokechic (MD)

Over the past few weeks we have noticed out hot water is not as hot and doesn't last as long. This has happened before. We have very hard water and need to drain tank and replace corroded elements every other year. My husband did this and now we have no hot water. We have plenty of pressure on the cold water. And the water is hot in the tank. It just wont come out of the taps. Sometimes it will dribble out but its not hot, but mostly nothing comes out at all. And if we have the cold water tap on and then turn on the hot the water pressure decreases. Help!

Re: no hot water, only cold.
Author: m & m (MD)

Your post is a little hard to interpret (water pressure vs. water temperature) but it may be that when the water was shut off to the water heater, and the valve reopened, possibly the valve did not reopen properly.

No hot water will come out of any taps or showers, only cold. Is there any thing to be done about the valve? My husband is ready to buy a new hot water heater and dont think we need to.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

you don't by any chance have galvanized pipes, do you?

No galvanized pipes

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Does the cold supply valve to the hot water heater have a round handle? If so, I'd second the bad valve.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Do you have a "gate" type valve on the cold supply to the water heater? Sometimes when those fail, the "gate" gets stuck in the closed position and the stem breaks loose. Any water pressure coming out of the T/P relief valve?

Author: hj (AZ)

The heater would have to be tested to see if it is working properly. From your description, we do not have enough information to diagnose the problem. However, if you have really hard water the element(s) may be burned out.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I'd turn on the hot water, at a faucet. Then go back to the water heater and feel the hot water pipe as it leaves the tank. Keep feeling the pipe to the faucet. Will it be easy? No it won't, but you will be able to trace the source of your hot water. I think a banacle, may have broken off in the process and is lodged downstream.

Best Wishes

Author: Paul48 (CT)

That's why I always use good bottom paint wink

Author: hj (AZ)

An anode plate may also help.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.