Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 frozen drain pipe under my mobile home
Author: david712 (IN)

I am pretty sure my drain pipe is frozen.After inspecting the pipe it doesnt appear to be cracked, but it does have a good sized dip. I tried a torpedo heater for a couple of hours with no sucess. I have several questions. 1. Did I use the torpedo heater long enough? 2. Would heat tape and insulation thaw it out?. 3. We are due for a "warm up" for the next 4 days..36-40 degree highs, would this be enough to thaw it until I can adjust the slope? I would welcome any any guidence that anyone can give me!! Thankyou in advance!

Re: frozen drain pipe under my mobile home
Author: KCRoto (MO)

what size drain line are we talking about here, what does it drain?

Author: packy (MA)

if there is a dip in the pipe and more water has accumulated upstream of that dip then the whole piope that is exposed to the cold is frozen not just the dip.
warm temperatures may be the only answer.
heat tape may help, antifreeze down the drain may help or even rock salt but it is hard to say anything definite without seeing the pipe..

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

If you have a bad "dip" or a belly in the the drain line, I would think your best bet is to wait for the warm up, and fire the torpedo heater when the temps are above freezing, and wait.

I would not waste time or money on frostex heater tape or insulation. A properly pitched and supported drain line should never need these.

Once it's thawed, fix the dip, support the pipe, and check for proper slope. Also check that the under pinning enclosure is in good shape with no voids, holes, or open/missing access doors to help keep the cold out.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

When I run into this situation, I just cut the pipe out and replace it.

Author: aramendiadallas132 (GA)

Deleted due to spam

Edited 1 times.

3 inch pvc....drains tubs toilets and sinks

Author: Plumber3 (FL)

Run heater, even in this warmer weather until pipes thaw. then repair/replace sagging pipes. 1/4 inch per foot pitch for 2" and smaller-1/8 inch for 3" and above. Wrapping pipes with insulation is acceptable, but unless you have major draft coming under the trailer, don't worry about it. fixing the pitch will stop the freezing. You should be concerned about your water supply lines after this repair. Be sure they're protected!

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If your 3" had enough sag alone to cause this, it is in seriously bad condition. The only way I have seen a line freeze up like that is to A) be clogged and full of water or cool smiley have a leaky faucet or toilet supplying small amounts of water to an extremely cold area where the ice is accumulating and causing a blockage. Since this is 3", I would assess how bad the freezing is by testing the pipe before it enters the ground. If it is hollow, then I would replace the frozen section WHILE IT IS FROZEN so as to not to get covered in the contents. If the pipe isn't hollow going into the ground, it means the whole thing will have to thaw and the drain will then need cleaned, or most of the pipe cut out, and the remainder cleaned.

Author: packy (MA)

1/8 inch per foot pitch for 3 inch pipe is not allowed in my area. must be 1/4 inch..

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

You are a truly brave soul, NC. I hope you have a thermal wet suit to wear when you chop and drop a 3" main drain full of you know what. smiling smiley

Thank You all for your helpful advice! applause

Thank You all for your helpful advice! My problem has been solved!! I could go on..but right now I'm going to take a much needed long hot shower!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Mother Nature, offered the best results... this time.
Best Wishes

Re: Thank You all for your helpful advice! applause
Author: Joe1978 (NH)

I’m having the same exact problem in NH this week. What did you do to cure the problem? Did the warm
Up help? We’re expecting 40s and 50s later this week. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.