Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water hammer
Author: edward boyko (PA)

I have water hammer when cloths washer on put surppressors on both lines still hammers installed expansion tank still have hammer shut off supply to tub shower hammer went away do I have to put surppressors on tube shower lines.ed

Re: water hammer
Author: hj (AZ)

You say it hammers when the washer is on/running, but hammer ONLY occurs when it shuts off.Unless it occurs ONLY when the valve shuts off you are trying to fix the wrong problem. Tunring off the shower valve should have NOTHING to do with stopping water hammer.

water hammer occours when cloths washer calls for water it is an lg and I installed hammer surpressors on both lines note washer lets water in by short burst. valves on washer operate. electronicly

Author: hj (AZ)

The ONLY place shock arreators are going to help, would be AT THE WASHER hoses.

hammer surppressors are installed on the washer per. lg instructions. still hammering

Author: Plumber3 (FL)

possible water restriction OR hammer arrestors installed in wrong spot. Water hammer arrestors should be in stalled at the highest point in the supply to each fixture that has "quick closing valve" ie ice maker, toilet, wash machine, dishwasher. If your water lines feed from the basement up, then arrestors at the fixture is fine. If feeds from attic or 2nd floor down, then install at highest point on both supply lines directly to fixture causing problem. My suggestion is check for restriction in flow first, are valves at wash machine full port or old and possibly clogged, take off hoses and check for screens in the hose ends OR look inside wash machine supply where hoses connect. Most wash machines have a screen in hot and cold that can be pulled out and cleaned OR removed all together. Check your water supply for "non" full port valves such as a "globe valves". Lots of homeowners install them thinking they're gate valves. They resemble gates, but have a buldging body. Globe valves are designed for water metering and still restrict flow when fully open. Do you have galvanized water lines? Galvanized water lines are notorious for clogging inside after years gone by and will restrict flow severely. Do you have a section where copper and galvanized meet? These dissimilar metals will corrode internally where they are connected causing a flow restriction. Do you have galvanized or copper going into water heater? This connection should be dielectric water heater nipples TO copper or galvanized or corrosion will occur at tank connection causing flow restriction. Brass to copper or galvanized is fine. Did you check to see if the hammer occurs when both ONLY cold or ONLY hot are filling the machine to see if it's one side or the other giving more hammering? Do this by turning each unused water valve off then fill machine with other water, ie. turn off hot valve, fill machine with cold, then reverse procedure. One last check is turn off the water supply behind the toilet and then fill machine and check, I once had this situation at a service call. when I turned off the water supply at the toilet, the wash machine stopped hammering greatly. So I installed an arrestor directly at toilet supply behind toilet and the problem was fixed. It seemed unlikely because water wasn't being fed to toilet during wash machine test, but once I turned off the toilet valve the hammering stopped. I say this because you said when you isolated the bathroom, the hammering stopped. The larger devices such as Toilet, washing machines and dishwasher are the most important to protect from hammering due to the volume of water flowing into fixture. Hope this helps

thank you I will try that and let you know whats happens you are a great help. thanks for taking the time.

Author: Plumber3 (FL)

It's possible that your fill valve in the toilet isn't closing 100% and when the washing machine valve closes, your getting hammering. Possibly as in the one service call I experienced years back.

thank you

thank you I will certainally try anything at this point

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.