Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub PVC came apart/how to fix
Author: SBD (MN)

I have an upstairs bathtub drain that ultimately goes into this (picture) pipe. It somehow came apart tonight while attempting to fill the tub for a bath. This house and said plumbing is 12 years old, I have never had any work done in this bathroom or the plumbing in or near this bathtub.

I was able to locate this through a small vent area in an adjacent bedroom closet. This access is a very small area. With that said, from what I have read, it sounds like I should really cut out the bad area of pipe and replace with new pipe and a fitting. I have no idea how I am going to do that being this area is so dang small. Is there any alternative like re-gluing this? Any other options or advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Bathtub PVC came apart/how to fix
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It looks like the pipes were never in alignment to begin with. The tub drain may have been cut short initially, or the tub drain was installed before the tub was set and it wasn't in the exact right place. The portion of the drain with the p-trap and the slip nut may simply be unsupported, and the nut was never tightened all the way, causing it to slowly work its way off with vibration, but it looks a little low and to the side to me. If you reach into the space, does the p-trap portion move side to side or up and down at all?

Thank you for the quick reply...yes the bottom piece has fallen down now that it is broken or come loose, meaning yes it does move up and down. I can slide it up so that the upper pipe goes back into it. I can't get in there now to see about side to side movement (daughter is sleeping). The nut that your referring to is the white piece, correct? I turned the nut a few times and it did not appear to unscrew.

I zoomed in on the photo a bit and it looks like the slip nut itself broke. If you can remove the old nut and any remnants, you should be able to get a new 1.5" plastic slip nut and a tapered slip nut washer and install them yourself. Put the nut on the tub drain, threaded side down, then slip the washer onto the tub drain tapered side down. If the tub drain is brass, use a rubber D-ring washer or rubber slip nut washer instead of plastic. When you lift the portion of the drain piping that fell, raise it until it covers all the soap buildup on the tub drain and that should put you back to the original pitch of the drain. Tighten the slip nut onto the threaded portion (currently under the broken slip nut) until it is snug, then move it up about another quarter inch if possible then hand tighten until you need a wrench. Use a pair of channel lock slip joint pliers to tighten the nut another half to full rotation. I can't tell you exactly, because I don't know your strength, but when you start meeting resistance with the pliers, stop! Keep in mind that you have a mechanical advantage, and you are threading plastic. Do you have any way to access the pipe from below? One way or another you will need to strap up this pipe and get it supported. Using a small electric drill with magnetic screw holder and using strapping secured by screws to the studs is probably your best option.

Your exactly right, I apologize for not mentioning that. I noticed it also when I had taken the picture on my phone. I will get the parts you recommended tomorrow and give this a shot. The only way to get to this from below is to remove part of the ceiling from the main floor bathroom as it is right below this bathroom. I would prefer not to cut out any sheetrock/ceiling if at all possible. I might have to get crafty with supporting this. You mention if there is copper, there is no copper, I think you can see the tub drain in the picture, it is the other pipe that is above the washer. Just to make sure I am looking at the correct parts I have included another pic of what I believe your referring to. I can't thank you enough for the great information your providing me, AND the patience with my questions. I am far from being a plumber but don't mind attempting certain tasks.

The parts are correct, and you are welcome.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

try to get some support on/under the lower pipe so you do not have to overtighten the plastic nut to hold everything in place

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Thanks!

Ok, thanks KCRoto and bernabeu. I was able to get to this today. So far so good. I was able to remove the lower drain pipe (p-trap section) and bring that to the local hardware store. The only thing I am a little concerned about is the other section/end of where the p-trap section connects to. I ended up putting teflon tape on there but it was a biscuit of a time. I think it would have been easier to put something else on like plumbers goop. I also picked up some strapping to support the piping. I will be checking on this each day over the next week to make sure there is no leaking

Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Plumber3 (FL)

You can see the 1 1/2 compression nut is damaged. Cheap easy fix. Go buy a 1 1/2 pvc compression nut and washer, slip nut and washer over top pipe making sure washer has bevel downwards (thinner towards bottom, thicker towards nut) push back together and tighten by hand. support trap from sagging downwards so this doesn't slip apart again maybe using plastic strap. They sell plastic strap with holes down the center, wrap it around trap and screw both ends to wood! Tight working space? Welcome to the wonderful world of plumbing!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.