Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Double sink kitchen clogged on left side.
Author: ReKLiS (CA)

Hello everyone I'm new here on these forums and I'd like some help or advice in unclogging my double sink in the kitchen. The left side is clogged and the right side is working fine. The right is where the disposal is. I've tried to use draino but its not working, Nothing is going down and the water is dirty. I have attached a link with 2 pictures one being the top of the double sink and the other is of the bottom of the sink.

This is the kitchen sink top down view, Left side isn't draining at all even after leaving draino over night

This is underneath the sink. The pipe on the left is the pipe thats connected to the clogged side of the sink. The right is where the disposal is at. The right side of the sink is working fine.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Double sink kitchen clogged on left side.
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd cut that horizontal piece of ABS to the left of the tee, clean the 90 out and reassemble. You could even use a shielded coupling to put it back together.

I don't really feel comfortable with cutting the pipes since im not sure how to even use a coupling. Would there be any other way to fix the clog without cutting any of the pipes?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Now that you have made the situation dangerous by adding chemicals to the mix, I recommend using gloves and eye protection, and getting a wet vac and a rag, and sucking the water from the left side of the sink. Use a rag after the surface liquid is removed and wrap it around the end of the hose and seal it up in the basket strainer. Hold the hose in place, and refill the sink at least a half inch above the basket strainer with clean water and turn the vac back on. The suction should clear the blockage on the left side, and you should hear air suck through the right side of the sink when it starts flowing. Shut off the vac, remove the hose, and let water flow through the left side for a few minutes. If you choose to use a chemical drain cleaner, the drain must be working before you use it. I don't recommend using a plunger, as it can simply wedge the clog further down the line so that both sinks are stopped up. If you don't feel that you can take these steps, call a plumber so that it can done correctly. Please tell him about the chemicals you poured down the drain, his safety is at stake.

I used drano. I ended up unscrewing the assembly and letting it pour down into a bucket and fixed the clog.

Thank you smiling smiley

Thank you guys for replying. I finally finished. I had to replace all of the abs pipes and reassemble because I ended up snapping the twisting thing that tightens the trap to the drain. I was turning it the wrong way. It was quite an expierence.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sophgreen015 (CO)

I agree with KCRoto, you should really be using gloves from now on. There are a lot of heavy chemicals in Dran-O, and where those chemicals are great to unclog drains, they're not too great for the eyes. If you're finding that Dran-O isn't working, I would look into taking the pipe apart. You'll need a bucket to catch all the water and other things that are clogging the piping, so I would make sure that you have cleaning supplies ready, because it might get messy. Also, if you ever feel like the project isn't going well, look into hiring a plumber, that might be the most helpful thing for you to do, once you've exhausted everything that you can do on your end.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.