Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Piecing together pedestal sink from Pre-War parts, stems etc.
Author: Bungalocity (IL)

Greetings from Berwyn, IL, bungalow capital of America.
I just exposed my original porcelain weave tiles in my 1927 bungalow bathroom, and had a '35 pedestal sink in my garage waiting to throw in there.

It's 12" boring diameter, about 1"+ holes, three of them.
There's a reuse place close by with cross handles, $10 per for each stem. It ends at the bottom with the screw and rubber washer. How do I know what valve pipe these can go into? A "T" pipe or junction of some sort I'd imagine? Are these types of things very dedicated and proprietary?

I just want to get this thing working and trick it out later with porcelain escutcheons and nickel supply lines etc. Can the pipes that will connect to the valve to make the water stop be had at any hardware store?

Thanks and hope I'm asking the right questions! I can't even imagine how to find an old decent faucet for the thing. I just adore the feel of my shower and bath separate cross handles. It's such a smooth and quality feel with graphite thread and brass! I never want to own modern.

Re: Piecing together pedestal sink from Pre-War parts, stems etc.
Author: packy (MA)

you need all three pieces to make up a complete faucet set.
just buying the hot and cold valves will not do..

Thanks for the reply!
So you're saying the T-pipe or joint it goes INTO is proprietary and generally not interchangeable with each other? That little washer must go down onto some kind of surface in the pipe to cut off the travel of water when handle is turned. That 'surface' is the wall of a pipe. I just want to make sure I have zero options when going to a plumbing store to ask about that piece.

I suppose the only way to complete it, if that's correct, is to know the maker and model of valve stem to find a match from its respective era?

Author: hj (AZ)

Finding ANY "prewar" parts can be difficult and expensive, but right now, I have absolutely no idea what you have or what you need based on your "description". A photo MIGHT be more useful.

Problem solved!

Rather than try and screw around with the cast iron rust bucket, I popped for an amazing condition '24 Crane Nova integrated pedestal sink and am being helped by an online supplier with the proprietary obsolete tail piece and trap nut, which they're reproducing to original. It's impossible to locate anything that can fit on there in any plumbing store.

The porcelain escutceons are perfect, a touch of minor discoloration in crazes near the left handle, that's about it. Can't wait to hook it up!

I can't decide whether to get the reducer pipe to make it 1 1/4", which would have been standard issue per the 1921 Crane catalog that's online (see page 8 on this online catalog, that's pretty much what I have. The specs are all in there) - OR take advantage of the 1.5" piping going into the wall. I'll make a separate post for this since it's another issue altogether.

[archive.org]

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The Dearborn #803A is the "original" tailpiece for it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.