Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Changing to quarter turn valves
Author: sum (FL)

I would like to change the bathroom supply valves into quarter turn valves with compression connections.

Three valves, 1 hot 1 cold for lav and 1 cold for toilet.

Problem is, I am a bit concerned about these older valves. If I loosen the valve but can't take out the ferrule what is plan B? I am wondering if the ferrule may have strangled the tubing and I am stuck using the old nut.

Last time this happened someone recommended that I use a sleeve puller. Does a sleeve puller remove the ferrule without deforming the tubing?

Re: Changing to quarter turn valves
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Leave the nut and ferrule in place and just replace the valve. You already know the ferrule is in place and tight, so don't mess with it. You don't have much pipe to work with so if you need it to shine like new, just get some brass-o and some clear acrylic sealer spray to apply afterwards.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I agree with KC; leave the ferrule and nut and match up a new shut off with the same threads, etc. I would apply a thin skiff of plumbers grease to the ferrule and threads before installing to help it seal and tighten easier.

I rarely worry about how "pretty" the copper stub is in bath lav cabinets. 99% of the time, the occupants cram so much toilet paper, cleaning supplies and what not, you can't even see the shut-offs buried behind it all. smiling smiley

Author: packy (MA)

change those plastic supplies as well.

so I can't change out the ugly plastic white escuchons too? Or have to use those hinged split in two ones?

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless the tubing is already deformed, the sleeve puller will not cause any damage to it. That is why we use one.

with the amount of usable pipe remaining, I wouldn't risk the potential damage to the pipe over an ugly escutcheon. Personally, I have more issue with the yellow tile.. but that is just preference.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sum,

there are 'pretty' split ring escutcheons - try an actual plumbing supply

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

the 'cheapos' are $1.86, the 'pretty' ones $6.85

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hi (TX)

Sometimes just painting the plastic would make it look good. split eustachions have their problems. you would hardly notice it underneath your toilet tank.

There is NO "potential damage to the pipe", if you use a proper sleeve puller.

There is always the potential damage to anything that you apply a force to. The proper tool may reduce the risk, but there is still risk.

Maybe so, but I have NEVER had a tube damaged by removing the sleeve. In fact, sometimes it even "corrects" a damaged tube when it slides off.

the sleeve puller must have enough clearance in front of the ferrule right? If the pedestal base is in front of it, and space is tight, how would you do it?

They are not that long, so it should fit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.