Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Absolute Best Sealant for Gas/Black Pipe?
Author: ejalplbg (NY)

Doing a job on a gas meter rack. For several reasons, taking everything apart and using all new piping is not an option. I have isolated two small leaks and used ordinary pipe dope to reseal and it helps some, but two tiny leaks still remains when pressure tested. Is there a non-BS product that really forms a tough tight bond that will likely do the trick?

Re: Absolute Best Sealant for Gas/Black Pipe?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The problem isn't the pipe dope 99.99999% of the time. If you are using a dried out crumbly sealant, that is most of the problem. If the dope is good, you aren't getting it tight.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Permatex pipe joint compound

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Gasoila.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

good product ..... still swear by permatex pipe joint compound

its only downside is its 'messiness' and virtual impossibility to clean off one's hands

it is black - stinky - sticky - gooey - clingy - oozy - and penetrating .... all at the same time

it never COMPLETELY hardens but does FIRM UP soon after application making the best pipe thread sealant I have found in 40 years

I don't use it on everything because it is sooooooooo messy

[www.permatex.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: vic (CA)

TU-555

Author: WC (VA)

Permatex, non-hardening type ---- Used on US Navy ships ---- good enough for me. (Yes it is messy.)

Author: hj (AZ)

Therefore, it depends on who you ask

Author: ejalplbg (NY)

Thanks guys. Looks like Permatex gets the most votes but if someone feels there is something better, please chime in. Thanks.

I still think if you have a leak, redoped the pipes, and still have a leak, you don't need different dope. You need new pipe, or need to tighten it down properly. There isn't a situation where you need to try to slide a little something on the leak because "all new piping is not an option" You are messing with GAS! Leaks can be fatal in multiple ways.

KCRoto has some very important words which I will take the liberty to repeat " You are messing with GAS! Leaks can be fatal in multiple ways.".

I don't agree with the 99.9999% ... percentage however it do agree with the basic concept and will give it in the 90% plus range. smile

Whatever kind/brand of sealant you use be sure to read the label to make sure it is designed for gas (natural?) (propane?) recognizing that not all sealants are the same.

Ok, so perhaps a slight exaggeration to prove a point.

smile smile Thanks KCRoto for the free tummy/stomach exercises .... that was good smile smile My stomach is still moving up and down from laughing. Yup smile smile

90%, 95%, 99.9999% what the heck .... we got the idea and that was the most important thing and you were absolutely right on.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

it's important to remember that it's the threads that make the joint.
make sure you have a quality threader with good dies and somebody who
knows what is right.

If you have leaks you may have bad threads.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.