Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Nasty Smell
Author: MM (NY)

I had someone finish my basement and add a full bathroom in it. He had to install a pump to which the bathroom water goes to. This pump smells weird. At first the smell wasnt too strong but about 2 months later its terrible! I rented out the basement and the tenant had to keep that window open to tolerate the smell (the pump is located in the boiler room with is next to the small living room in the basement). My brother has cleaned this thing with bleach and nothing seems to work. I read about putting silicone around the top and sealing this thing but is this safe to do? would it open in case it gets clogged or something? do I also seal the area where the cables come out of? I tried covering it with a comforter but it still smells in the apartment and I am trying to get this fixed before renting it out again because the first thing the ppl will get hit with is that smell, which will make them want to run... Help!!!

Re: Nasty Smell
Author: packy (MA)

you need to be sure of where the smell is coming from so that you fix it right the first time.
do not silicone the cover down.
you can remove the cover, lay down a good amount of silicone around where the gasket should seal the cover. put some saran wrap over the still wet silicone and attach the cover. this will make a good seal but the cover is still removable.
a tiny amount of silicoe where the wires stick thru the grommets won't hurt anything.
post a photo so we can have a look-see. maybe we can see something you can't..
BTW, the smell is normal. horrendous but normal. but it must be contained within the tank and should travel up the vent when you flush the toilet.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

"Someone finished your basement... and added a pump"

Was the work inspected by the town/city? Sorry, but I had to ask as it could all go back to the original install and if it was done properly. Best Efforts, may go a long way to complete a plumbing job, but if it wasn't done right.......
And if you are renting out the space, you are potentially looking at some future responsibilities. I'd consider bring in a licensed plumber to inspect the installation first.

Best Wishes

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

Did they install a vent so your ordors have somewhere to go?...

Author: srv (DE)

any open space around the plumbing pipes and the electric pump wire need to be sealed air tight with silicon. The waist container vent plumbing joints need to be sealed and vent opening should be unrestricted. P trap of shower area, sink if not maintaining water seal will let the foul smell spread in the basement.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.