Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 minus 2F on cape ann.. couple of tips..
Author: packy (MA)

if any of you homeowners wake up to a bathroom or kitchen with a frozen water pipe, shut the water to that area if possible. a frozen pipe can split and will not leak until it thaws. so it is wise to shut the water to that area and to check it periodically.
if something is frozen and you have to leave the house to go to work or to go grocery shopping, shut the main until you come home.
hey, pipes freeze but that doesn't have to be a catistrophic event if you are careful when they thaw..

Re: minus 2F on cape ann.. couple of tips..
Author: hj (AZ)

The problem is that pipes will not THAW if the water is turned off, they will only freeze harder and that can break the lines.

that may be true in phoenix but not on cape ann.
if the area with frozen pipe/s is heated to a much warmer temperature than 32F, why would they not THAW..
anyway, i would rather not risk a possible flood when they do thaw.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the water system loses pressure, it takes less for the pipes to freeze. The same thing can happen to drinks left in cars.

if the pipes are already frozen, how does it lose pressure by shutting them off?
BTW, an open bottle of gin left in the trunk in the cold weather will freeze faster than unopened one?

They thaw by getting a "trickle of water" to come out of the faucet, then leaving it open as the trickle becomes a drip and then a faster drip, then a stream when the water breaks through the frozen section. If the valve is turned off, you create a closed system and the ice will increase, remember it EXPANDS when water freezes, and have nowhere to go except burst the pipe.

Edited 2 times.

quote; the pipes are already frozen, how does it lose pressure by shutting them off?

It DOESN'T. The pressure increases as the ice continues to form and expand.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

quote: an open bottle of gin left in the trunk in the cold weather will freeze faster than unopened one?

I have no idea. On cold nights, (4F here last night) I let the faucets drip and never leave my gin in the trunk. I can't make martinis with frozen gin. smiling smiley

Author: sum (FL)

I even put on a sweater this morning before the sun came up.

Come on down I have Coronas and Pina Colada!

Author: hi (TX)

When I lived in Wisconsin a few years ago, when it got below -30 degrees we left the far faucet at just a drip which prevented many a freeze..

Author: Thomas (MS)

Sometimes I have to leave home for a week or two on work projects. Whenever I leave home in the winter, I set the water heater to "vacation", turn off the main valve at the street, open all the faucets and flush the toilet to lower the water pressure in the system. Is there still a danger of bursting pipes?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Yes. If there is water in the pipes at all, and the temperature where they are located stays below freezing for extended periods, then ice can and will form. You won't find out if you have a break until it thaws and you turn the water back on. Pipes don't always break when they freeze though. CPVC and copper are the most prone to breaking. Galvanized and pex are better survivors.

Yes, but not as much and no chance of a flood until you turn it back on.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.