Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pex shut off valves under lavatory sink
Author: ktaylorks (KS)

Has anyone seen these? Home Depot, Lowe's, and local hardware store haven't. Mine leak and need to be replaced. Is there a way to take them off easily, or do I just cut them off and attach new sharkbite shutoffs and supply lines to the bathroom sink?

[i1296.photobucket.com]

Re: pex shut off valves under lavatory sink
Author: steve (CA)

[accortechnology.com]

Scroll down to bottom of page for removal instructions(or you can cut the pipes).

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

They look similiar to some old shut offs I came across that had Sears (as in Roebuck and Co.) stamped on them. Apparently Sears got out of the plumbing fitting biz many moons ago. Since it looks like CPVC and you have lots of stub out, I would just cut them off, prime and glue on male adaptors, and screw on some good 1/4 turn brasscraft valves, run your new hoses or hard pipe compression copper lines and be done with it.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF it were copper you could get them off by twisting them, but doing that on a plastic pipe will score the surface so badly that new ones would not seal properly. Cut them off and install new, better, valves.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The valves and couplings are removable by twisting off counterclockwise, and are reusable.

however

cut the cpvc pipe

solvent weld (glue) on a male adapter

install threaded 1/4 turn angle stops

easy fix next time and forever

glue x (m)npt adapter:

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Any reason not to use a sharkbite shutoff on the pex pipe?

Any reason not to use a sharkbite shutoff on the pex pipe? And, can you glue a fitting onto the pex like you can with pvc?

Author: packy (MA)

i don't think those are pex but rather CPVC.
cut them carefully as CPVC becomes brittle with age.
after making a nice clean square cut, sharkbite stops will slide right on.

Thanks smiling smiley

Thanks. I've cut it off and put sharkbite on. So far so good.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

your pipes are CPVC (same od as pex or copper)

clamp or solvent weld

your choice

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.