Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 digging up sewer main through frozen gravel
Author: sethric (MN)

I am helping a friend. his sewer is plugged or collapsed. The pipe we found is pressed tar paper and cannot be augered. We tried digging through his driveway with a mini excavator with no luck. It is cold and the ground is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: digging up sewer main through frozen gravel
Author: packy (MA)

nothing 'mini' is going to break up frozen ground. you need the 'big boy' machine.

Author: hj (AZ)

A bigger excavator.

Author: m & m (MD)

The pipe is 'Orangeburg'. If you're stuck with only the mini, you'll have to consider using a heavy jackhammer.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Or you can find a way to melt the ice. 400# of charcoal will get you started.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Orangeburg = homes built with government funding. Orangeburg= tar covered paper towel rolls of cardboard. I thought it was only used South of the Mason-Dixon Line but discovered that it was used where ever "cheap" was allowed. As long as it was back filled and properly protected at the top, it lasted.
Digging with a "mini" is foolish in freezing and sub-freezing temps as the hydralic check valves can freeze up and ruin expensive equipment. I can't imagine having to use the heavy duty equipment that far North, but that is what is necessary. What ever is used, make sure that you have a soft under layment of sand and protection on the side, plus over the top before you back fill. Don't forget the clean out.
Best Wishes

Author: hi (TX)

consider trenchless pipebursting system. This may be an option where you are however the pvc may not be flexible enough in the cold weather.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

You need to find a backhoe that has a frost breaker on it..mine was a john dear that I could break down to fourteen foot in north dakota...50 below...good place to be FROM...smiling smiley

Wheelchair; Orangeburg was also used in the Chicago area, because that is where I first encountered it.

Author: steve (CA)

Also was used in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Author: sum (FL)

is this orangeburg cardboard pipe something that is fabricated and shipped to job sites for assembly back in the days?

or is it something that's shipped flat like stacked sheets of cardboard and is rolled into a pipe at the job site during assembly.

How do you connect sections of orangeburg pipes do you use Elmer's glue or are there "card board" couplings, elbows and wyes?

Sounds like a bad idea.

It was shipped in 10' sections just like cast iron pipe. The ends were tapered and you drove it into the fittings for a snug fit. They said, "because it is coated with tar it will repel the roots and is SUPERIOR to cast iron pipe. It will make cast iron drain lines obsolete",

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Sum, I have an Orangeburg pipe shaving/tapering tool I'll sell you cheap if you're interested. Just asking... wink

Author: KCRoto (MO)

[www.sewerhistory.org]

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Thanks KC, for the lesson
Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.