Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Loose Pipe for Shower Head.
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Similar situation to the one a couple of threads down from this one. The shower head moves back and forth because the drop eared ell is not secured inside the wall.

The wall itself is about five inches thick and tiled on the shower/ tub side and drywalled on the toilet side. Instead of cutting the drywall open to anchor the ell can I get away with squirting foam past the shower arm? Is there any danger of the foam creating a bulge in the wall from expansion? Should I use low expansion foam?

Re: Loose Pipe for Shower Head.
Author: packy (MA)

if you slide the chrome flange forward you may be able to make the hole the arm stick thru a bit larger. this should allow you to put some screws into the drop eared ell. slide the flange back to cover up the hole.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I usually use Packy's method. I scribe around the escouchen with a pencil ( so the marks can easily be removed later ) slide the escouchen down the arm a bit and enlarge the hole if need be and use an extension with a magnetic bit to guide the screws into position.

This is at a customer's house and I have not had a chance to examine the situation closely. It is quite possible that a eared elbow was not used or, even if used. there is no wood available to screw it on to. If this is the situation, will foam work?

Author: hj (AZ)

Yes, but it is not the ideal situation, because it will "glue" the arm in place and may be almost impossible to unscrew if something happens in the future.

Yes,I considered that and, in the future, the wall will have to be opened up if the shower arm has to be replaced. I will put in a new arm now and the next time the arm will be replaced will probably be during a major reno of the bathroom. The bathroom is quite old now and not in the best of shape.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you replace the arm, then coat it with a silicone grease so the foam does not adhere to it.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If it is resting against wood that you can see anywhere but simply not attached, some construction adhesive might work better if you can just secure the pipe and not the shower arm

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.