Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Central humidifier diminished water supply
Author: mijclarke (IL)

When it got cold outside I turned my central humidifier knob from 0% to 25% humidity and when the furnace kicked on I would see/hear a stream of water drain down the condensate line into a floor drain. As weeks went by it seems the stream has turned into fast drips and now slow drips. The solenoid was replaced by an HVAC guy a year and a half ago and I've replaced the filters regularly and cleaned the housing around the filter a couple times. I'm starting to smell a musty smell which I've smelled before when I turned the humidity dial to 0 and the filter dried up, except I've got the dial at 25%. The problem might be that the water supply valve is only partially open (I figured it was working nicely at first so why touch an old valve). The valve is located near where the hot water exits the water heater. It's a spigot valve that you'd see on a toilet water supply that takes several turns to open or close. The supply line is the really small copper tubing that I think is common for refrigerators. I'm going to fully open the valve and monitor leaks but is it common for these valves to clog up or break? Thanks for your help.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Central humidifier diminished water supply
Author: m & m (MD)

It is more common for the solenoid valve on the humidifier itself to scale up which is why it usually needs annual servicing.

Do you know how to remove the scale build up in a solenoid?

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The solenoid valve should be removed and the electrical part separated. The valve body and plunger can be soaked in white vinegar overnight and cleaned with a tooth brush and forced air. This is a job normally done during the summer when the humidifier is not being used.

Best Wishes

Thanks smiling smiley

Thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Author: plbg trainy (NJ)

On most solenoid valves if you remove the coil and power is not disconnected the coil may burn out I'm not too familier with humidifier types.

Author: jblanche (WI)

Do you know if the strainer and orifice were checked, cleaned or replaced when the solenoid was serviced?

I have an Aprilaire 768 furnace-mounted humidifier. Years ago I had a problem like yours and found my solenoid jammed shut - would not pass water. I suspect the strainer disintegrated and jammed the solenoid.

Since then, I stock spares and I check the solenoid, strainer and orifice each September when I replace the water panel.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.