Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Brass fittings in natural gas fireplace safety
Author: mauer03 (TX)

I am converting a fireplace that has a natural gas supply line from having a starter pipe for wood to having gas logs. The supply pipe coming into the fp is so long it hangs over the new pan by about 3 inches...this means that the brass fitting and the end of the flex pipe will be in the flames when lit...safety issue or not?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Brass fittings in natural gas fireplace safety
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Flex pipe in the flames ? I wouldn't do it.

Author: packy (MA)

me too...

Before I go cutting and rethreading the supply pipe coming into the fireplace (for which I do not have the tools) I just want to double check...this is a flexible metal pipe (maybe corrugated stainless steel) that came with the gas log kit. Still wouldn't do it?

Any thoughts on the possibility of the brass fitting melting?

Author: hj (AZ)

Can't you curl the flex lines so it is not in the flames

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Read AND UNDERSTAND the installation manual.

If you do not have it - GET IT and READ IT.

Your question is obvious:

One does NOT have any piping 'inside the flames'.
(except the burner manifold which is designed for that application)

DOH

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. Any chance you could un-thread that long supply nipple and rpl with a shorter one.. or remove it and take to any HD or Lowes and have them cut and thread it to the lenght you want? The all usually have pipe threading machines.

Keep all your supply lines, fittings, valves, and flex lines out of the flames. That should be a no-brainer.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

quote..
"Keep all your supply lines, fittings, valves, and flex lines out of the flames. That should be a no-brainer."
you forgot fingers, toes, hair and nose...

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I am a DIYer, but know my limitations. I feel this thread is like advising on the finer points of making explosives. I have no problem doing all my own plumbing, but when I get to burners, I leave it to pros. There is much to much , at stake, to play with them.

Thanks for the advice!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.