Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Capping off a drain in a washing machine box
Author: sum (FL)

One of my tenants moved out and I was there to look at it up close to see what I need to clean, paint and repair.

I pulled out the refrigerator from the wall because I wanted to disable the ice maker line - they are always causing trouble and most people don't use them anyways. I also wanted to clean behind it, as well as the oven.

Guess what, I found a washing machine box behind it. Didn't even know it existed, and a dryer outlet. So once upon a time the kitchen was smaller and they expanded it and cancelled the washer/dryer.

The drain in the middle of the box was meant to have the discharge hose go into it. I don't know how long it's been this way, which means the tenant I inherited the one just moved out has been smelling sewer gas for who knows how long due to the bottom of the trap being dried up. Yikes...I bought this place in May this year and he's been there at least three years I think.

So, one puzzle solved, the ice maker line was being fed by the washing machine cold feed. I will just get two garden hose caps and capped those valves off.

How do I cap off the drain opening? It seems to be a 1-1/2" pipe glued into a 1-1/2" hub. So I need something that will plug into the INSIDE of a 1-1/2" pipe SCH 40? I could use a rag just wanted something more permanent - but I may need it later so I don't want to plug it with concrete so not permanent permanent.

Re: Capping off a drain in a washing machine box
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It should be 2", I use a rubber test plug.

Author: steve (CA)

Rubber test plug.

NC Plumber you are right it's 2", for some reason first time I looked I thought it was 1-1/2".

I have a 2" cap for PVC pipe that fits the inside and it didn't fit because the washing machine box hole is slightly smaller than the inner diameter of a 2" pipe.

Will a 2" test plug work there? If not I guess duct tape is plan B but I'd rather have something more secured.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, a 2" test plug is designed to fit inside 2" pipe.

Packy I have a 2" test cap that's designed to fit inside a 2" pipe and it didn't fit because the hole on the bottom of this washing machine box is smaller than the inner diameter of a 2" pipe.

Author: thomshous (MI)

The washing machine box originally comes with a 1/8 turn test cap with a rubber washer. I am sure this is long gone. A 2" glue test cap will not fit in this opening. A 2" rubber plug will fit.

See [www.acehardware.com]

or

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you can find a plug that has a range of 1.5-2" you will be set. If you have a plug that is slightly smaller, you can put layers of electrical tape on it to add thickness, then tighten it down. If that box is Oatey, you can buy the cap that seals down to it. It may be the Quadtro box, but it could be an entirely different brand as well.

Author: packy (MA)

[www.homedepot.com]
depot has glue in test caps that fit inside 1 1/2" pipe.
that should do it..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

there should not be a 'dead end' exceeding:

24" drainage

18" potable water - this is more important because of the 'stagnation' issue

remote, but possible

now YOU, as the landlord, know this possibility

IMO: if there is unwanted plumbing it should be removed - leave 'stubs' marked for the future

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Most test plugs are smaller than 2" and you tighten the wing nut to make them "bigger".

DONE.

2" test plug works like a charm.

I also connected a washing machine hose to the hot then the cold, took turn running each valve for about a minute or two to get rid of the stagnant water into the drain. Filling up the drain trap.

Then I put some teflon tape on the valves and capped them off. I will come back in sixth months and run water through the valve to DE-STAGNANT them.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Looks great.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.