Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 kitchen sink plumbing problem
Author: mmcknox1 (VT)

A dishwasher repair service disconnected the braided wire tubing from the supply pipe under the sink in order to pull the dishwasher out to evaluate it. He stated that it needed a new mother board and would order the part. I said fine, I can hand-wash dishes for a few more days. I turned on the faucet in the sink to hand-wash the dishes that night and water poured onto my feet from under the sink. After emailing him, I got no response for two days. My floors and cabinets had sustained significant damage. Finally he responded to my email and I'm pasting his email response to this forum because it makes no sense to me and I need someone to explain this to me. He did not tell me not to turn on the sink faucet. Here is his response to the email I sent him. REPAIRMAN--“I left the line disconnected, and the supply valve off purposefully, because my repairs were not yet completed. Disconnecting and reconnecting braided water supply lines like yours can cause the rubber seal within the connector on the end to wear out and tear, possibly causing a leak, and adding cost to the repair. This is why I did not reconnect the line, or turn the water supply back on before I left. It was done to prevent possible damage.”

He further stated, "It is unfortunate that whomever turned the water supply valve back on did not notice the water coming from the valve. Due to the fact that I am not that person, I will not be assuming any responsibility for any possible water damage that may result from this incident. It is my hope that once the water is gone, and the floors, cabinets, and rug have a chance to dry out, there will be no permanent damage to your home."

He uses the term "supply valve." What I did was turn on the faucet not the supply valve. Is a lay person expected to know that they can't use their sink and why would it cause the "rubber seal within the connector on the end to wear out and tear, possibly causing a leak." It had been connected for two weeks since the dishwasher stopped working and I was able to use the sink with no problem. I'm attaching two pictures in case this doesn't make sense.

[s1122.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: kitchen sink plumbing problem
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The pictures aren't showing up. It sounds to me like he turned the valve off that supplys hot water to the dishwasher, that is to be expected.
You just turned on the kitchen faucet, also to be expected.
He thinks the water came from the dishwasher supply.
If I was guesing I'd say the dishwasher drain hose was also disconnected and that's where the water came from, if so it's his fault.
Can you try again with the pictures ?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I actually 'get it'

the d/w was fed from a 'tee' above the h/w angle stop which was left closed by repairman

when the single lever sink faucet was used the c/w back-fed through the faucet and flooded from the now open d/w hose connection tee WHICH IS ON THE SINK SIDE OF THE STOP VALVE

poor practice:

good practice:

the above (adapter) actually IS code compliant in some jurisdictions

the repair man was inexperienced but technically correct as said connection is FAR FAR FAR from 'good practice'

the h/o knows NOTHING about plumbing or d/w service

the hoses in question have rubber washers to make the 3/8 compression seal - said washers OFTEN do not reseal properly after ??? times - the repairman was 'scared off' by the cheap hose

GOOD PRACTICE would be to have a SEPARATE stop for each 'service'

faucet cold water

faucet hot water

dishwasher hot water

GOOD PRACTICE would be to pipe the d/w with annealed (flexible) copper tube (like they USED to, for this very reason)

Who pays for the damage? Excellent question! How about 50:50 ?!

ps. the 'braided' connecter is actually a vinyl hose/tube encased in a braided mesh to prevent 'bursting' ~ imo: junk

pps. if you MUST go 'flex tube' then you want:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

{model and number removed}

This xx ft. dishwasher water supply kit fits most major brands and includes everything you need for easy installation. Kit contains (1) xx ft. EPDM water supply line with two 3/8 in. brass compression fittings, (1) 3/4 in. brass swivel gooseneck fitting, (1) 3/8 in. brass elbow, and installation instructions. This hose is better than stainless steel. It has a braided reinforcement layer for added strength and durability. It also has a non-conductive surface so hose will not conduct electricity.
•Better than stainless
•Fits most major dishwasher brands
•Includes everything you need for easy installation
•Kit contains (1) xx ft.EPDM water supply line, fittings, elbow, and installation instructions

Approx $15-25 depending upon length

EPDM rubber (ethylene propylene diene monomer (M-class) rubber), the main properties of EPDM are its outstanding heat, ozone, and weather resistance. The resistance to polar substances and steam are also good. It has excellent electrical insulating properties. It has good resistance to ketones, ordinary diluted acids, and alkalines.

Maximum service temperature 150 °Centigrade (water boils at 100 Centigrade)

Why use the braided junk ??

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 5 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You are correct. I see the pictures now. It was cold water backfeeding thru the faucet and out thru the hot water valve .

Author: packy (MA)

i don't see a compression tee in that picture??
even if there was a tee, a 1 dollar cap would have closed off the open end.
somebody screwed up and it was not the homeowner..

Author: hj (AZ)

He turned off the hot water and disconnected the dishwasher, then left it that way. When you turned on the faucet, opened the hot and cold water together, and cold water went through the faucet, down to the valve, which was closed, and then out through the DW connection which was open. IT is his responsibility, because if he did not cap the DW line, he should have turned off the cold water also so no water could backflow and damage your room. Even telling you not to use the faucet would not have been adequate, because you would have turned it on anyway out of habit.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you very much. Clear info. I understand it now. clap

Thank you very much. Clear info. I understand it now. My only complaint is that he failed to tell me not to use the sink. It has been six days now and I have no idea when the part will arrive. I better buy paper plates and plastic knives and forks.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you for your response

Thank you very much for your response.

Author: hj (AZ)

TEll him to come back and CAP the end of the hose so you can use your sink. If he works for a company and won't do it, then ask to talk to his supervisor. ANY competent repair person would have caps with him, or he should have reconnected the DW. Saying the supplies will be damaged is NOT a good response.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.