Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 wet venting bathroom group?
Author: Jackofallmasterofnone (DE)

Hi,
Great forum!
Need a little help. Just added bath to second floor. Having a little confusion over which way to connect all the fixtures. There is not a lot of room (as usual). I believe I am allowed to wet vent shower if within 5' of main stack, which it is.

Have drawn three options.

Thanks.

Live in Delaware if that makes any difference.

[i1379.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: wet venting bathroom group?
Author: packy (MA)

forget 1 and 2...
3 is close to acceptable if the shower trap is within 6 feet of the tie in point. the 6 feet is measured along the pipe. (developed length))..
try to get the shower drain to run STRAIGHT THRU the 2 inch 'Y' and roll up the branch of the 'Y' to pick up the lav. keep the 2 inch full size all the way thru the roof.

Author: hj (AZ)

I would be more concerned with HOW you added the upstairs bathroom, because you cannot just "put a tee in the pipe coming up from downstairs". Your drawings need a darker pencil or a pen, because they are illegible.

Here is a better photo.

I think I changed the options. I had a third option of connecting to the vertical 3" just after it goes from horizontal to vertical.
Looks like option 1 is the best?

Edited 2 times.

#1, and it depends on how you actually do it, is the only acceptable version.

Thanks.
No worries about what's below. Original one story addition with flat roof. Whomever did it was thoughtful enough to plumb it correctly to accept an eventual second story.
Thanks for the reply.

Not to scale but you get the idea:

Author: m & m (MD)

Looks good assuming the shower gets a trap and not the ell.

the arm going to the lav can be 1 1/2 inch. it can be up to 60 inches long and pass code.

Not how I would do it, but it will work.

yes with the trap. Ran out of fittings in the mock up.

Author: sum (FL)

not a plumber here.

however I don't see the need for that extra 45 elbow downstream of the closet bend, why not a straight shot?
Is it better to tie the shower line into the 3", then the lav into the shower line, in other words to put the lav on the branch of the Y? or does it depends where you roll up the Y whether at the 3" connection or further up?

Shower into the lav drain, or lav into the shower drain, is immaterial because they are the same thing. It just depends on which is easier.

it is not immaterial.
the lav into the shower drain allows you to roll the 'Y' up.
you can not roll the 'Y' up if the shower goes into the lav drain or you will create a full 'S' trap.

You DON'T "roll it up" you connect to the lav riser with a sanitary tee. And even if you connect to the lav's horizontal line you do NOT roll the "Y" up.

geesh... hj, were you advising the D-backs for their first 11 games this year..

hj, I don't mean to say to connect the lav drain to the vent with a Y, I mean in a wet vent configuration the wet vent itself is being wetted by the lav draining to it, so it's going to be the lav and shower/tub meeting at some point, before they connect to the toilet. The question is at the point where the shower and lav meet, should the lav connection be on the branch of the Y, or the shower/tub connection be on the branch of the Y, or does it not matter?

I was under the impression it is better to connect the lav to the branch of the Y if you might want to roll that Y up for some reason.

Here is one I did a few years ago at my home where I redid the laundry room and bath at the same time. As you can see I had to roll the Y to the shower up in order to pass over the line coming from the washing machine. If the washing machine line was not in the way, I might have not have rolled the Y up at the shower, but roll the lav connection up 30 degrees or so.

Here is another bath in that house, again I rolled the Y up because it was easier to plumb to not have to dig so deep.

I think you all told me to roll it up. Actually I think I asked here if I wanted to roll up a Y 30 degrees or 45 degrees, and wants a branch to come out facing 90 degrees, what fitting do I need and you told me to use a street 60 elbow.

You only have to roll a "wet vent" up if it makes things easier for you. Otherwise it can run level with its connection to a main line. And, I doubt that anyone told you to use a street elbow, unless it was for a special purpose. IF you want to roll up on a 45 degree angle, turn 90 degrees, you use a 60 degree elbow, and they do not come in street versions.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Nibco and Charlotte both make a street 60*.

[www.pvcfittingsonline.com]

Interesting, because I have NEVER seen one in a plumbing wholesale store.

hj, I guess the way I was looking at it, I have always been thinking that rolling up is better than not rolling up, even ignoring all the other reasons (less excavation etc...) because it puts the connecting line higher, which theoretically means less of a chance of it being filled with water and inhibiting the venting...so when I was actually plumbing my own home, I rolled up where I can, and in determining the order, I always tie the shower into the toilet line on a branch, then the lav drain/vent last because the flow from the lav is typically less than that of a shower. May be that doesn't matter practically but it seems better in my mind.

None of it matters, as long as the connections have water flowing through them. I roll the connections up because I don't want to dig deeper trenches, otherwise they connect flat.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.