Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can someone tell me what this is? (sink drain to wall)
Author: Jefe (OR)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to properly connect to this? It's in the bathroom of my parents house, which was built in the 1950s. It's the wall connection for a sink drain. Looking inside, it curves to the right and down, presumably over to where the toilet is.

It's been painted over several times, but it looks like it's made of brass. The round bit in the center is a lip.

Looking up from the bottom, it sure looks like there are some threads, indicating that this is threaded onto the pipe, but I can't get it to budge, even with a few love taps with a hammer on a pipe wrench.

For years, this has been attached to by using a few different sizes of PVC and a lot of caulk, and it has inevitably leaked, so I'd like to connect to it properly.

Re: Can someone tell me what this is? (sink drain to wall)
Author: packy (MA)

it appears to be a broken off 1 1/4 inch galvanized nipple.
the brass hex shape looks like a bushing but is has no male threads???
i defer to someone who may actually know what it is..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd saw the hex portion off and use a banded coupling and st. trap adapter.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

after 'zooming' page it appears to be:

hex would be a 1.5 x 1.25 bushing with a 'snapped'/'sawed off' brass nipple

you will need to either:

OOOOOMPH out the bushing with a 24" wrench and 'cheater' and risk breakage in wall

or

finesse out the broken nipple

using a hand saw notch the internal carefully w/o penetrating the male internal threads of the bushing

use a cape chisel to pry / punch out the piece of the nipple by starting at the exposed edge and collapsing same inward breaking it along the notched cut you made

for general method except your nipple is broken flush so much more care is involved with the notching and the chisel will be needed for the 'collapse'

[www.youtube.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a brass "solder bushing". Usually we have to cut them out, but that one is outside the wall so you can unscrew it if you have a large enough pipe wrench.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I can't see it that well, but is that a brass fitting soldered to a lead drain?

if it is a bushing screwed into some sort of female fitting, it is bottomed out as there are no threads visible.
to the original poster..
please keep us posted as to what you find. this one is interesting..

Packy, You live in MA, where solder bushings are almost mandated and you do not recognize this one?

Author: sum (FL)

The bushing looks like it is attached to an elbow?

OP,

try to post a better pic

need more resolution to see for sure

We would have to actually see it because of all the paint. it could also be a female solder adapter on a nipple, but, regardless, unless it is soldered to a copper pipe it will unscrew.

hj, only kind i ever used was a flush bushing.
i soldered it onto a copper stub out. the male end was threaded and a trap screwed onto it.
when connecting a vanity or kitchen trap to a copper stubout, i always just sanded the chrome off the trap arm, stuck it inside the copper and soldered it.
never saw a female solder bushing.
anyway, i am interested to actually see what this is...

Most of the ones I have removed DID have the hex on the outside of the fitting, but they were still inside the wall so I had to cut them out. This one is accessible so it should unscrew with a big wrench.

? like this ?

Well, it is lighter than my 60" compound wrench, but does take more effort.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Thanks for the input, everyone. clap

Thanks for the input, everyone. Since nobody told me that it was obviously some kind of permanent part of the pipe, and since I could see what looked like a couple of threads behind the brass part, I went ahead and put a pipe wrench on it and bashed away with my big hammer.

It came loose and came out, still attached to a steel stub. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel. Looks like there's a blob of solder, so I guess it's a solder bushing, and it would have had a brass tube connecting to the trap. It sure doesn't look like anything was broken or cut off, so maybe that's the way things were done at some point!

I was worried about the condition of the pipe in the wall when I saw the condition of the threads on the end of the stub:

Luckily, though, the threads on the elbow inside the wall were still in great shape:

I replaced it all with ABS, snaked the clog that caused the whole issue, and now everything is working great!

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Inserting ABS into a galvanized thread is asking for trouble down the road. A galvanized nipple would have been a better choice, then use a brass slip joint nut on the p-trap. What's done is done though.

from hj, with credos:

...it could also be a female solder adapter on a nipple, but, regardless, unless it is soldered to a copper pipe it will unscrew...

he nailed it

OP; your latest pics make it clear

Edited 1 times.

If they had installed it correctly in the first place the others would not have had a problem identifying it. The trap SHOULD have soldered into and therefore it would not have slid out.

quote; then use a brass slip joint nut on the p-trap.

Then use a "marvel connector" on the pipe with the trap secured by its slip nut.

quote; Since nobody told me that it was obviously some kind of permanent part of the pipe,

Actually, in almost EVERY posting when I replied to an obviously incorrect reply, I stated that it "Was screwed on to a pipe, and you just needed a big wrench to remove it". YOU must not have been reading those.

"Actually, in almost EVERY posting when I replied to an obviously incorrect reply, I stated that it "Was screwed on to a pipe, and you just needed a big wrench to remove it". YOU must not have been reading those."

I don't know if YOU cannot read, or if YOU simply misunderstood what I wrote, but nothing I wrote disagreed with your assertion. I have no idea why you are CHOOSING to be a @#$%& about it.

Anyway, I'm out. HJ, you're a bit of an a-hole. I appreciate your input, but not your awful presentation.

If you had read the first posting and gotten your wrench and hammer, we would not have had a discussion with a dozen back and forths, AND, I would not have used ABS to replace it either.

now now now

play nice y'all

smiling smiley

connecting a tubular trap to a slip fitting is illegal in massachusetts.

That is another discussion. If he were going to solder it, then he didn't have to remove that piece. Just clean it and the trap, then solder them together.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.