Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kohler k-10430 Forte how to remove hose assembly from hub
Author: cove3 (NY)

My Kohler kitchen faucet with separate mixer developed a leak in the hot water hose at the turnoff valve. Removing the unit from the sink, and removing the handle and diverter at the top, I find the supply hoses are screwed in deep within the hub such that there is no room to get a crows neck wrench, like used for brake lines,or needle nose pliers around the hose to unloosen and replace it

At the same time, I'm unable to figure out how to separate the hose assembly from the hub. It doesn't appear to be threaded and respond to unscrewing, nor does it appear to be pressure fitted and respond to pounding it out. One post said he broke off the long brass tube trying to get it out in order to get more clearance. I even tried Blue Monster tape and Plumbers Goop to stop the leak, but those don't work on braided hose.

It seems like a poor design not to be able to replace a hose without having to remove the faucet and even poorer to not easily replace a hose once it's out. Surprisingly, there are no videos or insructions on the web, only on diverter leaks or on the sprayer hose

Ron

Edited 3 times.

Re: Kohler k-10430 Forte how to remove hose assembly from hub
Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.us.kohler.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

That is not usually a 'serviceable' item, and if it were, you would need to get the new one from Kohler and it would have directions. More than likely they will have to send you a replacement faucet.

Author: packy (MA)

you need to get a new hose.
it looks like this and should unscrew easily. the seal is made by the "O" ring/s.
it is very important that you get the correct hose/s
contact kohler for free parts..
1 800 4KOHLER
[www.amazon.com]

Author: packy (MA)

au contraire mon ami..
i find that the wonderful engineers at kohler USA have designed that type faucet in such a way that the big brass nut that secures it to the sink can not be screwed on with those hoses in place.
you have to secure the faucet to the sink and then install the H&C hoses.
as usuall, i always apply a touch of silicone grease to the "O" rings and the male threads of the hose. the hoses only need to be firmly hand tight. even if they back themselves off 1/4 - 1/2 turn (highly unlikely) they will not leak as the "O" rings provide the seal..

Author: hj (AZ)

All the Kohler faucets I have installed come with the hoses attached and can be secured to the sink with the assembly intact. And, when one leaks, they send me a new faucet, NOT a new hose.

Success
Author: cove3 (NY)

Success. Kohler is sending a replacement assembly. They first recommended needle nose pliers which I said didn't have the leverage, and they also said there's no way to get the hose assembly out of the hub to remove the hose (still not sure I believe this)

While waiting for the replacement, I ordered two new hoses from ereplacementparts.com (the hoses have no o rings) To get the old hose out and screw the new one in, I did the following:
1. Bought a 1/4" drive deep socket size 7/16 (or 11mm) 6 point, not 12 point
2. With a steel cut off wheel on a 10,000 rpm grinder, I sliced it open the full length wide enough to allow the hose to slip in and the socket to slide down on the nut
3. Using vice grips on the tip of the socket sticking out of the hub, I was able to loosen or tighten the hose nut. There's just enough clearance.
4. The effect is similar to an auto brake line open wrench where you slip it over the line and tighten/loosen the nut
5. I hand turned the new hose in and snugged it with needle nose pliers and did the final with the deep socket. Note that in order to find the size of the nut, I cut away the bad hose with a Dremel small cut off wheel to see what socket would fit. I didn't want to order new hoses until I saw the concept would work

I still don't understand why Kohler designs it this way or why there's no fix on the web. You should be easily able to replace a leaky hose from below, and without having to take the faucet out. This is a popular but expensive $300 faucet and this recessed hose design is probably used in other Kohler faucets. Why replace an entire expensive faucet for a simple hose leak? Hot water hoses are vulnerable to deteroriation, and Kohler can't possibly expect a hose not to go bad at some point. Here's a pic of the removal socket:

Ron

Edited 7 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

most people replace faucets over 10 years old when they develop problems unless they are shower valves. When it comes to deciding between fixing an old faucet and buying a new one, most married men will end up buying the new faucet. Of the rest of the men involved, probably 60% don't know how to fix it and will call in professional intervention or just change it themselves, and probably 38% will try to fix the faucet and damage it past the point of repair. I would guess that only 2% of guys that aren't married would be capable and willing to fix a faucet. Manufacturers can make the faucet hard to work on and keep the above mentioned 38% in the business of breaking faucets.

Author: Cowbell (PA)

The housing assembly slides down so you can get to the supply hose end. You may need to soak it in CLR or 50% water to vinegar to loosen any sediment.
Take a wood dow and a hammer to tap it out like a push pop.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.