Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1920's re-plumbing input
Author: greg631 (CA)

I am re-plumbing a 1920's farm house that we bought and had moved onto our property in Fresno county, Calfiornia. I would appriciate any feedback on the rough-in I have done so far. All the pipes are just fitted together and not glued yet so the angles are a little off, but this the basic layout that I have planned. I believe we fall under UPC code requirments.
I included a link to my photobucket plumbing album.

Thanks, greg

All photos (17 pictures):
[s1383.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: 1920's re-plumbing input
Author: packy (MA)

nice job greg..
the only thing i would change (not because it is wrong) is that i would drain the tub into the 2 inch toilet vent. use a 2 x 2 x 1 1/2 inch "Y". this will 'wash' the toilet vent rather than have a dry vent.
now, do a nice job hanging the pipes.

Author: hj (AZ)

If that is really just dry fitted together, you have a big job ahead of you. I don't know which number the picture is, but where you have the tub into the toilet line, the vent is for the toilet, NOT the tub, so the tub needs its own vent. Putting a "near" a connecion and calling it a vent, does NOT make it a vent.

i thought i saw the tub draing into the 3" stack? it also had its own vent.

In picture #13 it is toilet, vent, then tub, therefore the tub is not vented, although the toilet is.

au contraire, Mettez vos lunettes.
i see a tub drain clearly going into a 3 inch main drain..

Author: Doug E. (CA)

I would stub out 1 1/2" for kitchen sink trap arm.

Thanks for all the speedy replies!
In picture 13 the tub vent is hidden behind the new looking pillar and beam - it is visible in picures 09 & 12. I like packy's idea about running the tub drain into the toilet vent, sounds like it will clean up some of that congested piping right there. I have the lower portion of the laundry room and kitchen and about half way to the bathroom all glued together and hung with proper hangers now. Will try to finish up the rest on Monday. Will also probably drop that kitchen sink trap arm down to 1 1/2".
Thanks again, greg

Edited 1 times.

greg, move the "Y" that you have venting the toilet back to the area you have red letters -- 3" closet. the toilet vent can be up to 9 feet away by my code.
roll it up a little like you have done with other "Y"s. put a 45 in it facing towards the tub. the 45 will bring you back to about flat. put a 2 x 1 1/2 x 2 "Y" with the 1 1/2 picking up the tub. the 2" branch of that "Y" will be rolled up with a 45 in it facing the 2 vent you call the toilet vent. get a cleanout in there somewhere and you will be good to go..
if you do it right, the 1 1/2 to the tub should be a straight shot and the 2 going to the vent hole you cut should be about straight as well...
both the tub trap and the shower trap should have should by code have the cleanout plug in the bottom. only un-accessable traps are allowed to have no plug.

Pardonnez moi, but if you are looking at the same one I am, it connects AFTER the vent so the toilet is flushing past the connection which is NOT vented.

I thought the vent lines had to be within 45° of vertical, thats why I routed everything around close to that one wall. If it is okay to run them closer to horizontal that would be a lot easier to run.

you are correct. but if you roll the "Y" up, put a short piece of pipe and then use a 45 to get a more flat pipe, you will be fine.
this is the reason i am a big proponent of 'wet' venting. the water running thru the vent will keep it washed. if it blocks up, the wet venting fixture will not drain. now you know it is time to snake the pipe..

In one picture where the tub drain goes around the toilet piping, it looks like it is pushed downward and there is no room between the pipe and the joist to raise it.

No, there is not much room at all. The last suggestion from packy would be a solution to that I think.

I made the changes packy recomended.
Is this correct with the tub venting through the toilet vent? Also purchased p-traps with cleanouts.

[s1383.photobucket.com]

i was just ready to heap praise on you and your work. now i can not..
that is not what i described.
the 2" 'Y' must have the tub draining straight thru it. the branch of the 'Y' rolls up and has a 45 in it to look it at the vent hole.
so, put the cleanout 'Y' at the end of that 2" 'Y' have the tub drain into it. do not roll up the cleanout 'Y'. roll up the 2" vent 'Y'
rotate the 2" 'Y' so the branch is straight up. put a 45 into it and that is your vent.
then just maybe i'll consider heaping praise on you and your work.. (<:

Better? I need to adjust the slope a bit.
(I deleted the other photos out of shame - hopefully they will never be mentioned again)

[s1383.photobucket.com]

I don't know. That line just above the light sure looks like it is going uphill.

It is, pipes are just hanging by wires and none of it is glued yet just stuck together. trying to get the basic layout and fittings right for now.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.