Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Heating my garage. Need help with hookup.
Author: Wantnheat (PA)

Hello,
I just bought a 20yo Oneida Royal 87k BTU forced air furnace with Beckett burner. I think I got a good deal. Payed less than $100. Garage is 30x28 2 doors, insul walls but not ceiling, yet. Anyway, I'd like some help hooking it up. I took pics of it n I'd like to know where the on/off switch wires get connected to the terminals. There's 3 screws on top n 2 on the bottom. Also like to know a cheap way to put a plenum on top to blow heat out the front.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Heating my garage. Need help with hookup.
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Sorry, this forum is plumbing related questions. Perhaps you could do a search for your make and model to get more info. I did. Here's a link to some service manuals and contact info for the original furnace manufacturer that might be more helpful. [www.manualsdir.com]

Author: packy (MA)

the least of your worries are where to connect the electricity and setting a plenum on top.
you will need a chimney thru the roof. the chimney must be 'class A' rated for solid fuel. (same as a wood stove)
double wall stainless steel is one type that is acceptable.
then you need an oil line. it must be run in a protective sleeve and slope downward from the oil tank. you can run the oil line uphill from the tank but it will need a second copper tubing return pipe.
the wiring must have an emergency switch in a location approved by the local fire department. it also needs a fire-o-matic within 5 feet of the burner.
the fire department inspector may want the whole furnace raised off the floor so a car will not crash into it.
as for the plenums, they will have to be fabricated by a sheet metal shop.
bottom line.. talk to your oil man as he will have to obtain a permit and do the initial set-up and firing of the oil burner.

Thx for manual Fix it.

I guess I shoulda mentioned there's already a heater in place n have a cement chimney. Heater is a gravity fed kerosene out of a trailer home. Still works just never warm enough. I don't understand why u don't do HVAC help anymore. I've been a member for 6yrs atleast. Got help here before. I know my oil heater guy knew alot about plumbing.

Thx for information by Packy too. I would think since this is existing I shldnt need permits n such. People install these older furnaces in garages everyday. They're always for sale on Craig's.

Edited 1 times.

if you don't get a permit for the installation, there is no such thing as 'grandfathered' with a replacement furnace.
should there be some sort of a fire (god forbid), your insurance company will not pay you a dime. also, i answer questions about heat all the time.
my company is a 'plumbing and heating' so i feel qualified.

Updated with pics. Ok, I'll check into what I need to do this safely. Please tell me how to hook it up n make a duct. I know sheet metal working I just don't know best shape to form this. It will sit in center of 30ft wall blowing towards doors 28ft away. Now that I posted pics u shld be able to see what I'm doing. Let me know if u need more info.

the plenum is easy. just measure the top of the warm air side of the furnace. the plenum is just a simple sheet metal box that sits ontop
the measures would be something like 20 wide 23 long and 18 high. (just using these numbers as an example yours will be different)
as i said a shop will fabricate that for not much money.
home depot has all the duct you will need. starting collars, flexable duct, supply boots and registers.
as for the wiring, it appears to be already wired. you just need to run power to the switch box on the side. i'm not sure where the t-stat connects??
do get your oil burner guy to service that burner, it looks pretty rough. he will know right away where to connect the t-stat.
for 100 bucks, you got a good buy..

I actually pd $85. Plus he gave me about 15ft of copper. So, what I don't use will be scrapped, Yah! More money back. I can fab it myself, I know fabrication n have welder.
So, the plenum will screw into the lips on top or does plenum have connectors? I'm guessing plenum should be kinda shaped like a hood scoop. Thought about splitting it out the front to hit more area. What u think?
Oh, I see it now. The connections on box are just for thermostat. I think I'll use my electric plug n cord from old heater (good shape) to wire on/off switch. I woulda got old plenum n fabbed to work for me but seller said the installer took it all. Surprised he didn't take the copper. Do I need a damper? Are these O'Reilly Royal s pretty good then? How efficient is the 1994 Beckett? This will not be used everyday. Just when I need to work on something. Thanks for all ur help.

Edited 2 times.

the plenum is a square shaped box that is flanged over outwards on the bottom.
there is no welding involved. it has its corners folded into eachother.
keep it square if you are making it.
cut 6 inch circles out of it for the starter pieces.
the return just needs a grill over it. (no louvers)
i might be wrong but i think the t-stat connects to the TT terminals on the honeywell control on the oil burner.
the beckett burner is as efficient as a modern beckett of the same style.

Hey, Happy Holidays!! N thanks again for ur help.
This big hole in the side must be the return. So, my duct work has to go down to here n be separated from top, can't I just put a filter over it. That's what I thought went there. Glad to here my Beckett is as efficient as today's. Like I asked is Oneida good furnace name. Never heard of em. I know York, Carrier Trane n others but not them. I was just goona get some sheet metal cut it n tack it together to make plenum but I'll checkout already fabbed parts. So, u don't think any other wires connect to that 5 screw box? So, thermostat goes into that Gray box on right side of burner. I'll try to mark the box in a pic n post. Looks like I better blow out the fins on that blower. The plenum hole lip to lip measures 17.5"x19"

Red X marks the spot.

Edited 5 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I make square S shaped hooks and screw them to the side of the furnace for the filter to slide in. You need to keep a filter over the big hole at the bottom of the furnace cabinet.

Thanks NCP. I thought a filter could go there wthout return duct n yep, I'll make up some clips. Anything else u can add? Packys been a big help hope he replies to my other questions n pics.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.