Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement bathroom venting
Author: koschikma (PA)

Hi all,

I live in Pa and I am installing a sink, toilet, and shower in my basement. The house was built in the 60's and the bathroom plumbing was roughed in using clay pipe. I am replacing the clay pipe on this branch with PVC. The bathroom will be 18 ft from the stack on the other side of the basement to the right of my backdoor in a room I have framed in. Do I need to create a separate vent system for this new section? Would a cheater vent suffice since I am so far from the stack? It would be beyond my ability to run a vent to the roof. How is this usually done? I have included very rough diagrams below. Please be kind.

Thanks, Mike

Re: Basement bathroom venting
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It would be best to get a plumber on site to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

Author: packy (MA)

trying to be kind...
your first drawing is not up to code as there is a full S trap drawn.
the second gives some sort of below grade layout but not enough information to advise on.

if cheater vents are legal in your area, you could get away using 2 of them. one behind the vanity and one inside the shower wall venting both shower and toilet.
back to your drawing board...

Author: hj (AZ)

You need to do more research about venting and pipe layouts. I really can't imagine a house built in 1960 having clay pipes under the concrete floor. That would be more likely with an 1860s house, or even one in the 40s, but not any later since the war was over and metal pipe was readily available.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.