Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water coming out of spout and shower head at the same time
Author: barmor9th (AL)

I had a tub in master bath and wife wanted to add a shower to it. I bought a 4 piece tub and shower set. Before installing the side walls, I checked with associate at lowers and then went by a local plumbing sales store and asked if I neecded to change the facuet. The one that I had had a 1/2 plub in the top of it. They both assured me that all I had to do was to take the plug out and run a shower arm up and that was all I needed to do. I just finished the bath room and turned on the tub and water comes out of the spout and the shower head also but not under force at the shower head. The diverta is not pulled up. What is up and what to do?

Re: water coming out of spout and shower head at the same time
Author: steve (CA)

Did you try to pull the diverter up?

Yes I did, with the diverta up, the water comes out of the shower full force.

Author: steve (CA)

What material and size is the pipe from the valve to the spout?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The original valve was plumbed upside down. The installer didn't care because nobody was using a shower anyhow.

1/2" gal. pipe

Author: hj (AZ)

What is up is that you got bad advice from someone who had no idea about how to do what you wanted to do. There is NO cure for it other than to open the wall, put the plug back into the faucet, remove the elbow that the spout is connected to, replace it with a "twin ell", connect the shower to the back opening of the twin ell, and then connect the diverter spout, may have to get one with a 3/4" opening if yours does not work with a bushing.

1/2 gal. pipe and there is no build-up of scale.

The original valve did not have a 'restrictor' in the shower port.

Thanks for all the help! applause

After checking it out on the Internet, I was afraid of that. I think I will just buy a 100% cut-off and install it on the shower arm. We will only be using the shower anyway.
Thanks for all the help!

Edited 1 times.

Cutoffs for the shower heads are seldom 100%, because when they are, it can cause other functional problems.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.