Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 tips for removing the balancing spool on moentrol
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i have a customer with no cold water out of a moentrol

ive tried in the past to unthread the cover to the balancing spool, but have never been successful...ive used a screw driver and a chizel....they all just strip out the slot

how do you get it off?

thanks

Re: tips for removing the balancing spool on moentrol
Author: HATPLUMB (CA)

I'VE USED A DRILL BIT AND AN EASEOUT (SCREW EXTRACTOR) SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN A PENCIL ON MORE THAN OCCASION.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Sometimes heating up the screw with a torch and then letting it cool can help break any corrosion binding it in place.

Author: hj (AZ)

Get a piece of flat metal stock the size of the slot and turn it with a Crescent wrench.

job is tomorrow...i have a brand new valve in hand.....i will heat up and if needed ill buy an easy out and try that.....this house has water quality issues....so its not going to just come off

ive never been successful before with it, but maybe some heat will help

thanks

I have never had a Moen, or Delta, balancing spool that I had to "chop" or "EZ-out" to remove it.

cap came off easy.....no heating needed

but the spool was attached to the cap...i couldnt figure out how to remove it, so i unthreaded one out of a brand new valve and put it in...customer had to pay the $$ for a new valve, but i remember that stupid part by itself is pretty expensive anyways...

how do you get the cap off the spool?

YOu DO NOT. The new spool comes with a cap. The old one is attached so it comes out when you remove the cap. WHY would you charge for a whole valve when all you are going to do is buy a new spool and insert it into the body?

Edited 1 times.

because i had the valve on site and i didnt have just the individual part....would have cost me more to go to the supply house to pickup the part...and the valve was sitting on my front seat

i didnt think the cap came with the part....i may dig the valve out of my scrap bin and replace the parts and reuse the valve....

i didnt know

never replaced one before....tried once before and was unsuccessful

Just buy a new spool and screw it in to the body you removed the other one from and you will have a "complete new" valve.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I don't blame you for covering your bases and being prepared.

I don't either, but I DO question why the customer had to pay for an entire new valve when he was only going to use a component from it, and then replace it on the valve body.

i didnt mark it up too much....probably less than what most guys would have charged for just the spool itself.....and from what i remember the spool is almost as expensive as the valve....like Kohlers....its cheaper to buy a 304k and take the guts out of it than to buy the cartridge by itself....i carry a spare 304k in my truck since it serves 2 purposes...the cart. replacement or the valve replacement

in the end the homeowner was very happy....its all that matters

Author: markwilliam (CA)

You may also use some cutting oil along with the drill bit o that it should smoothly come out of the pipe.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.