Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pressure stays in narrow band, then goes to zero.
Author: jbohrman (NY)

I just got a new 44 gal tank, new 40/60 pressure switch, relief valve, etc. I got a new Goulds submersible pump two years ago. When I put the new tank in, I checked that the pre-charge on the tank was 38 psi. I cannot get the system to function properly. The pump turns on somewhere in the thirties, stays on for 5 seconds, then turns off. Sometimes it holds pressure at the point that it turns off, often it just drops to zero. Every once in a while it works flawlessly, meaning the pressure climbs to 60, then after it drops to 40 with usage, the pump comes on and pumps nice and strong until it is at 60 again. But then, usually after only one or two good cycles, it goes back to the short cycling in the thirties. Does anyone know is going on? Thanks. JB.

Re: Water pressure stays in narrow band, then goes to zero.
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Did you use a new brass nipple under the pressure switch ?
Sometimes an old galvanized nipple causes problems.
When the pump kicks on in the 30's and runs for 5 seconds and shuts off - what pressure does it shut off at ?

Thanks for the reply NC Plumber. Yes,I did put on a new brass nipple when I put in the tank. Plus a new pumptrol switch and a new gauge. The psi at which the pump kicks on (and off) is not consistent, though it seems to follow a downward cycle over time. Right now it just turned on at 40 and back off at 42-43. The 2-3 psi band may go downward from here, meaning next time it may go on at 38 and off at 40/41.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Shut off the power to the pump and drain the excess pressure from the system. Pump up the pressure tank to 50 psi. Turn the pump back on. The pressure tank isn't doing anyone any good because the air bladder is completely compressed before the pump's switch triggers it to cycle. You want the pressure in the tank to be between the high and low limits of the pressure switch so that as the pressure drops in the first few seconds of usage from: (a poor flow chart)

60-55-50 [it will suddenly stop in that region as the tank bladder starts releasing water back into the system for 44 gallons worth of water before dropping to] 49-45-40 [Pump kicks on] 45-50-[tank fills while system maintains 50 psi] - 55-60 Pump turns off.

Author: m & m (MD)

At this point, it seems the pressure switch (although new) may be at fault. Try another new one and specify a 'Square D' pressure switch. Make sure it does not have a pulsation plug in it. Good luck.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I wonder if some debris got into the switch when the new parts were being installed. Some excess pipe dope perhaps.

Thanks KC Roto. Question: I have read over and over that the air pressure in the tank when it is empty of water should be set to 2 psi below the pump's cut in pressure, which in my case is 40... Just so I understand, how does your advice to pump it up to 50 psi relate to that that standard 2-under-cut in advice? Thanks. John.

Thanks m&m and kc roto on the advice on the switch... Another piece of information. I took the cap off the switch to observe what was going on inside when the malfunctioning is happening... As the pump is about to kick in, the pump control box starts to buzz a little, normal I think. Then the contacts on the switch close and the pump turns on. Normal. It runs for 5 seconds then the pump turns off. The contacts remain closed, and the control box continues to buzz. I don't know what to think of this. And, just so you have the full picture, the pump control box was put in at the time the same time as the new Goulds pump, in July 2012, and the brand new switch is a square d switch.

Also, I realize as I write this that when I am saying the pump has turned off, I mean I can hear that the water has stopped (at least I believe that's what I'm hearing), and the pressure stops rising. Thanks. JB.

Author: m & m (MD)

..." Then the contacts on the switch close and the pump turns on. Normal. It runs for 5 seconds then the pump turns off. The contacts remain closed, and the control box continues to buzz..."

This description is not 'normal'. The pump should always be running when the contacts are closed. It should not run when the points open. If it is dropping out when the contacts are closed (stops running) then you most likely have a motor problem. You will need to check it with an amp meter.

Thanks very much to those who offered their help. clap

I just wanted to close out this post/thread. At the suggestion of a few folks, I replaced my pump control box and it eliminated my problem. My system is now working great. Thanks very much to those who offered their help.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.