Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dishwasher Drain Question
Author: Mulder28 (Non-US)

Hello everybody,
Can somebody please tell me if the way I connected my dishwasher (high loop) is acceptable and correct. This is my first ever dishwasher installation so...I only got my install knowledge from manual and youtube...I had to cut my ABS pipe to install my dishwasher drain adapter in between my double sinks drain pipe...anyways, here in Alberta, Canada no airgap is required...actually after I went to Lowe's and Home Depot they said if you want one you'll have to special order one from the States...so I decided to go with a high loop, but I have a question...after I installed my BOSCH dishwasher everything looks fine, no leaks...but my drain hose is a see-through one so I can see the water in it after cycle is complete, basically all the way from the bottom of the dishwasher to the high loop and then after that.....on the bottom part of a hose before it connects to ABS pipe....is it normal for water to sit there? I know it's OK for a little water to cover the bottom part of Bosch dishwasher after removing filter access area, I removed it and could see some water there. But what about hose? See picture...please tell me if it's acceptable way of connecting drain hose...I have no leaks anywhere, but there is not much room to play there...on a picture you can see how I hooked it up to ABS pipe, the picture shows the bottom part of a drain hose after it loops at the highest point of the countertop...
Thank You in advance, everybody.
[www.dropbox.com]

Re: Dishwasher Drain Question
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It would have been better to put the connection on the vertical portion of the drain under the left hand sink. The way it discharges now, part of the water is going to attempt to run to the sink on the right, and the fittings will leave a small trough of water in between the sinks where some food and water will sit, causing bacteria to breed and make a foul smell. I would replace the end waste outlet that you have with a new one, and use a dishwasher tailpiece extension before the p-trap. This will also move the drain line further to the left and take up some slack, letting the extra water run out of the line. You can aid this by tacking up the line towards the top of the cabinets in the center of the space. Also, where the waste arm meets the P-trap, you shouldn't have any tape on that joint, the seal is a compression between the two faces and anything in between them can cause a leak.

Author: packy (MA)

i think you are OK. just slide any excess drain hose back thru the hole up top so it sits behind the dishwasher.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the water did not stay in the hose, it would drain back into the dishwasher. Don't worry about it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

easy easy to fix

you have created a double loop

the rise up from the d/w is #1 (hidden)

the dip down/up in the sink cabinet is #2

#1 is required, #2 un-necessary, unsightly, and space absorbing

just push he excess drain back into the d/w cabinet

if you don't, still OK

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks to all who replied for your answers. I think I am gonna leave it the way it is (not gonna install that other type of adapter), 'cause I am still a beginner homeowner and before it was always apartment maintenance guys who fixed leaks, etc.....now in my first house I am still a little intimidated to attempt to modify all that plumbing the way KCRoto (MO) suggested. I might try and push some of that excess drain back towards dishwasher. Again, thanks everybody for your input.

So, as you guys advised, I ended up pushing the drain hose back a bit this is what I ended up with....there are 2 pictures one is view from the bottom...
[www.dropbox.com]

Author: packy (MA)

the nuns at st josephs grammar school would put a gold star on your forehead.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

poifect

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.