Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Veterans Home Needs Major Assistance
Author: Navy_Vet221 (TX)

Hello all,

My name is Josh and I am writing you today because I'm having a major issue. I'm with an Organization which houses Disabled and Homeless Veterans in Northern Dallas.

We have recently started workin on a house that we will turn into one of the many homes for Disabled and Homeless Veterans. Im currently residing in it as I work on the house daily. However, we are having major plumbing issues.

The toilet used to flush and every sink and drain released air every time the handle was pushed down. Thats when there wasnt any issues. Then all the sudden one day the toilet would fill up and the tub would actually fill with waste it seems. So first we went to the local hardware store and bought liquid acid (hot powder) and poured it down the drains. No resolve. We also went to the roof and stuck a long stick and water down it. As well as poured more acid. So we removed the toilet and stuck both a metal 50' snake and a 50' auger down the line. We worked on it for 2 days. Finally one day we went to pull the auger out and it release and you heard it in the tub and the bathroom sink release air. It worked just fine. Still making bubbling sounds but we could live with it if it's working. Until it stopped working again yesterday. Now the tub is full of particles and the toilet won't flush/fill properly.

I don't know what to do. We have been dumping every penny we have in this house for electrical, insulation, etc. We are completely broke at this time so we can't pay for a plumber.

I can't even take a shower this morning because of this.

Please help with any ideas.

*UPDATE* I just put the hose down the air vent and let it run for awhile. It has come out of the drain of the tub and is filling the tub. I still can't flush the toilet properly either. I'm sure why. Just giving out the information.

Re: Veterans Home Needs Major Assistance
Author: hj (AZ)

You have a major sewer stoppage SOMEWHERE, but we can't tell you where it is. THe things you have done so far are completely inadequate, and could even make it worse. You don't have the money OR EXPERIENCE to get and use the tools you actually need, so spend some money on a plumber instead of insulation, etc.

Author: Navy_Vet221 (TX)

Thank you for your response. Before I spent literally thousands on electrical and other things to make this house livable. The plumbing was fine. Made some sounds when flushing but we are combat veterans. Sounds don't bother us when there is a luxury of a hot showers. And not having to deal with bottle water or baby wipe showers. smiling smiley

As for and update:
I have had the city out here. They do believe that it is in the main from the sewer to the house. I shoved a 50 ft snake down the access port into the ground. When they get back from lunch. They will probe it and I will have to dig. At that point. They will use 1000psi and blow it out towards the street. Hopefully I don't have to dig all the way up to the house to find the clog. Or the fact we might have a collapsed pipe due to the house being so old.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What is the age of the house. How far is the house from the street. What size cleaning head are you using on the auger? Is there any chance of tall trees and root envasion? What material, is the sewer line between the house and the city main?

Any chance someone has a sewer camera that can be run thru the sewer line? You can live without light and power, but you can't live without water and a good sewer line....

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.