Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 unglued PVC vents for gas appliances
Author: gdtrfb (IN)

I noticed that the installers of my gas water heater and gas furnace did not glue the fittings outside the house.

All the connections are glued inside the basement. However, outside there were 3 stubs sticking out of the wall all about 3".... (one for furnace exhaust, furnace intake and w/h exhaust). The installer mearly connected a coupling on each one and built the appropriate termination ends from there that consist of a length of pipe and elbow for each one.

However, when doing some yardwork I realized I could pull off the terminations from the coupling, leaving just the stubs sticking out the wall.

Is this standard?
Is this a carbon monoxide hazard?
Should it be corrected?

Edited 1 times.

Re: unglued PVC vents for gas appliances
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Unless the vents are terminating under a window or door, it isn't an issue. The only concern would be if the vent was the exhaust, and it was terminating under a window or door. The area of more concern would be the penetration of the pipe through the exterior. Is it caulked shut so that exhaust gasses and pests can't enter?

Author: packy (MA)

the gas inspector passed this??
call him/her to report such shoddy workmanship. the installer needs to be reported.

Is there a reasoning why that might be accepted though? Perhaps for cleaning of ice or something?

As far as CO poisoning though, do you think that's a risk?

FWIW

the water heater exausts connects with coupling and then extends out with about 6" pipe and a 45' ...

The furnace exhaust connects with coupling and then extends out with about 12" pipe and 45

The furnace intake just has a 90 on it.

All of the terminations are done to specs in the installation manuals. And every joint is glued on the interior of the home.

Edited 1 times.

if you want to make it them removable, put 3 stainless pan head screws into each joint. also make sure you have the insect/critter screens installed in each pipe.
as for any leakage causing you harm, not outside it won't..
it is also a good idea to have a hard wired CO detector near the heater.

"if you want to make it them removable, put 3 stainless pan head screws into each joint."

Right, but they will still leak that was my concern.

well if you are that concerned, use sheilded 4 band stainless clamps to join the piping.
you will have to use street fittings (one male end)

that's an idea but those aren't probably listed for condensate.

Maybe I am being paranoid? Since the unglued couplings are a few inches from the open pipe! So its no more a CO hazard outdoors...

in any case, they should be secured. i would just use stainless pan head screws.

Author: mr leak (CA)

why not just glue the pipes even if they don't need to be and relax

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would use screws as Packy suggested, just in case they needed to be accessed for some reason.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.