Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 american standard toilet one piece with built in overflow
Author: Danny young (CA)

I have a older american standard toilet with built in overflow in ceramic in the front left corner two holes one smaller than the other. my question is: were do i place the fill line? in the smaller hole? what keeps the line from coming out? how does this intern fill the tank or does it go too the bowl can't figure this out the fill line currently dumps in to the holding tank and jumps all over the place. their is no overflow filler tube in the flap valve. thanks for any guidance you can give me

Dan

Edited 1 times.

Re: american standard toilet one piece with built in overflow
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you replaced the fill valve with a fluidmaster 400A it should have had a white plastic elbow with spring clip enclosed in the box. The best suggestion to secure it is to use needle nose pliers and open it up until it can latch securely to the ceramic, then attach the fill hose to it and trim it to length with scissors. To set the water height, put your hand on top of the valve and reach into the tank and lift the gray ring on the bottom of the valve. This will allow the top portion to move and you can adjust it up or down accordingly, then slide the ring back down. If you do this with the water on, just be careful not to remove your hand or you will have a small rocket and a flood. The refill tube is meant to fill the bowl back up with water to the proper level as the tank fills; it just needs secured so that it doesn't flop around and spray wildly.

Author: Danny young (CA)

Ok great I am assuming then that the fill line on the fluidmaster 400A does go into the built in small overflow hole using the elbow that comes with the valve?
Thanks much
Dan

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; To set the water height, put your hand on top of the valve and reach into the tank and lift the gray ring on the bottom of the valve. This will allow the top portion to move and you can adjust it up or down accordingly, then slide the ring back down.

Now why would you do that? All you have to do is twist the top part clockwise to lower the level and ccw to raise it. The only time I have ever had anything to do with the lock ring was throw the valve away when it split.

If you use the FM fitting it is too large for the small hole. It clips to the side of the large one.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Thanks, hj, I just learned something. I had always used the lock ring at the bottom as KCRoto suggested but, after reading hj`s post I tried turning the top half of a 400A and it works to adjust the height.

Once the 400A is installed then clearance issues arise when turning the top half and it is easiest to disengage the lock ring.

quote; Once the 400A is installed then clearance issues arise when turning the top half

Nope!. you just "untwist the top cap" and then screw the shaft up or down. I NEVER do anything with the lock ring, because it was not designed for you to do it that way.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.