Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas Leak Repair - Correct?
Author: mwr (IN)

I had a a couple of leaking 1" fittings.

Of course I hired a plumber.

In order to make the repair he added 2 - 1" unions.

I had 1/2 unions at both my furnace and water heater. In addition to those, I now have big fat 1" unions prior to both appliances. And if they were to leak, the only way to stop the gas would be to shut it off at the meter.

Is it typical to use Unions when its isn't easily feasible to spin off fittings in tight situations?

Are unions more proned to leak than regular fittings?

Re: Gas Leak Repair - Correct?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If they were installed properly and checked for leaks, you have nothing to worry about. Just don't go all 'Redrum' with a sledgehammer.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Check your local code.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

good practice = minimum # of unions

did YOU or HE save time and money by not unscrewing from existing unions and reinstalling PROPERLY ?!

remember: best practice does NOT necessarily = minimum code, but usually surpasses code

eg. 7 foot 2 inch minimum ceiling height to meet code versus industry standard 8 foot versus best practice 9 foot

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: mwr (IN)

did YOU or HE save time and money by not unscrewing from existing unions and reinstalling PROPERLY ?!

So your suggesting adding unions is not a proper repair?

The only way to spin off the fitting for repair otherwise would be to go back to a tee about 25' away in a ceiling and then the next joint after that one would be outside at the meter another 25' away.

The other kind gentlemen mentioned checking local code..... I did not do that obviously but is adding unions as I describe not adhere to code in some locales?

(as for saving time and money) This repair was done after hours on a Friday night as an emergency gas leak call. Two guys, 2.5 hours. Repaired 3 gas leaks, pressure test and leak test with soap. I don't know if prices are discussed here. Ide be happy to share with you what it set me back.

Edited 3 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Don't mention the price, that's against the rules.
Adding the unions was fine.

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Unions are needed in both new installations of gas piping and in repairs. They are also used at appliance locations to facilitate servicing or replacing of same. Without unions, piping in gas would be difficult if not impossible.

For you to have an understanding of why and when they are used, you might have to go work with a plumber and install them to understand.

A plumber using those is not a sign that you were bilked or that a plumber did a poor job.

if it was an emergency the cost would NOT be an issue

there were EXISTING unions at the fixtures/appliances

one would work backwards from them and voila, no NEW unions

unless, the job was 'rushed ~ then just 'cut and splice' at will

remember: code does NOT equate to best practice

Author: hj (AZ)

You cannot 'spin off' fittings, unless you start at the end and take it completely apart back to that point. Unions are a substitute for disassembly, but I am not sure why he would need two of them if they are on the same pipe section without any intervening connections.

Once he got to that Tee 25' away, then he would have had to undo ALL the piping into that tee, and if there were tees in that line the process would have to be extended. By the time you were done, you might have had to undo and redo the entire system. Unions are approved for anywhere except buried inside walls for gas, and in those locations we use a "left/right" nipple and coupling.

Price is immaterial, because it will vary according to where you live and the company you used.

"Once he got to that Tee 25' away, then he would have had to undo ALL the piping into that tee, and if there were tees in that line the process would have to be extended. By the time you were done, you might have had to undo and redo the entire system. Unions are approved for anywhere except buried inside walls for gas, and in those locations we use a "left/right" nipple and coupling."

correct

couple of hours work maximum

no new unions

? your point?

quote; couple of hours work maximum

Boy, you are good. You haven't even seen the job and you know EXACTLY what has to be done and how long it will take. You must be great at giving estimates over the phone, because that is what customers expect.

One leak, two leaks, three leaks, sawzall, csst.

quote; csst.

And don't forget to bond it.

Author: packy (MA)

counterstrike requires no bonding..

That is probably NOT the type he meant when he said CSST.

No...But after reading about it, it makes the other stuff obsolete.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.