Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Pipes through studs + Alternative options?
Author: sethk (CA)

Please pardon the long post, but I would like some help with ideas about what to do.

In my garage, I have a washer/dryer along with a utility sink, which I would like to move from one wall to another (for ease of parking and whatnot). The destination wall is still exposed from the original construction, so I have full access to the studs and everything.

The studs are 2x4s, and the wall is load bearing, so from what I've been able to find online I will only be able to put a 1.4" hole in it (3.5" x 40%). This is fine for the PEX pipe I'm planning on running to feed the hot and cold, but I don't think it's enough for the drain for either the sink or the washer, correct? I'm also planning on drywalling the garage once I'm done with this.

The options I can think of:
1. Replace the studs of the whole wall (~20' worth) with 2x6's and then drill the hole. This seems fairly costly, and could lead to other problems.
2. Double up all the studs that will be drilled, but from what I read, you can only do that for one stud.
3. Run the pipe in front of the wall instead of in it, but that might have to happen after drywalling. And I don't necessarily know if this is allowable.
4. I could run the washer with a flexible hose into the utility sink, but I would rather plumb a dedicated drain so that it feels complete.
5. Another option that I don't have the experience to think of.

Thanks in advance,
Seth

In case it matters, I'm in California, and in an earthquake zone.

Re: Drain Pipes through studs + Alternative options?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Can you build a short knee wall to drill thru ? Use 2 X 6's and come up maybe 4'. You could go 24" on center with the studs.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would do as North Carolina Plumber suggests, but you can make it out of 2x4 if you wanted to. It won't be load bearing and should be secured to the existing studs anyhow. Just remember to use nail strike plates over any pipe that is within 1.5 inches of the exterior of the stud wall so you don't sink a drywall screw into it.

Author: sethk (CA)

I'll have to double check about the knee wall.

The bottom/sole plate of the wall is bigger than a 2x4 (I'm guessing 2x6), and the wall is sitting on a ~12" tall concrete stem wall, which is a touch wider than the bottom plate, so a knee wall could work.

Thanks!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

maybe:

'sister' the existing studs with 2x6s

(also gives room for much insulation BEHIND piping)

just far enough to install the washer / dryer

this would leave a 'set back' where/if you stop which looks pretty good

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.