Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clogged kitchen sink
Author: RookieBeotchPlumber (OR)

So the other day my kitchen sink clogged up when my wife was doing dishes its a single sided sink with a garbage disposal it drains very slowly but I have taken the pieces off underneath all the way to the wall and put a snake down probably 3 maybe 4 feet and it feels like it just stops like it cant make a turn again I've spun it and it feels like its just a corner I can't get around I hook everything up and it backsup again everything in the pips from the sink drain through the disposal to the wall and down at least 3 maybe 4 ft are clear. I have a roof vent that I guess connects straight with the pipe the snake goes down but I was told that the roof vent is for steam to escape the pipes and wouldn't cause it to back up like that since going down the pipe allows me to go down the 3ft I tryd the heavy duty drano stuff and waited a little longer but the samething happens. I was also told about a access point you can open up and snake from there and it looks like there is one right behind the sink in the cuboard area against the wall its a round thing with a square bolt and it was painted over I have a picture I took if I can figure how to put it on here. I need to do this myself I do not have the money for a plumber and I'm tired of doing dishes in the bathtub. (we have no dishwasher)

Re: Clogged kitchen sink
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Well, the problem is that you need the kitchen sink drain augured out and it is cheaper and safer in the long run to have a professional do it. While a professional costs a bit more, it doesn't cost much more than buying a cheap snake, draino, and renting a professional drain snake (which is the next step).
Is this your house or a rental?
Slab foundation, crawlspace, or basement?

Depending on the answers, you have a few potential solutions. If you are going to attempt to snake the drain yourself, at least watch several videos to get the concept before going out and renting a unit and going in blind.

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Drano and other liquids that are claimed to be clearance of clogs capable:

The equivalent of turning your money into liquid and pouring it down your drain. Plumbers on this site constantly state that real plumbing companies never offer it as a solution for a clog. As a Plumber with 8 years in the trade, I would not work for a company which offered those sorts of products to customers as a solution to that sort of problem.

Snaking a drain is the solution.

Snaking is mainly a plumber's or a drain cleaner's domain. Not many people should ever allow themselves to fall under the impression that they can do this and clear clogs. This is something you need to see a pro do and do under the direction of a pro before you can understand the concept of how to use snake machines, which size of machine and cable to use, why cables get stuck and how to prevent this from happening. The last thing you would want to do is get a snake stuck in pipe severely or broken off.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Eric while I agree with you, on most aspects, I was attempting to give the poster the best advice possible. If he can't or won't hire a pro to do the job, the least he can do is observe some video online and hope that he doesn't have any problems. There is nothing wrong with using a drain cleaner provided that everyone realizes that it won't open a clogged drain. I like to point out to customers that the directions of use require that you flush the drain after X number of minutes or the product isn't used as directed. When customers of mine had all pvc kitchen drains, I told them that once a year the draino gel would strip the gunk out and keep things flowing, but wouldn't work once it was clogged. Personally, I hate the products, but if people insist on using them, they can at least use it in a manner that won't cause harm to the plumber that follows, the residents of the property, or the plumbing itself. One of the guys I worked with got sent to the hospital for 2 days after pulling a p-trap on a kitchen sink and got a lungful of sulfuric acid vapor left inside the drain line that didn't vent out.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Take your empty containers back and get some warranty money back. Use that money as a down payment for a licensed plumber and get the job done right on the 2nd try. You've done your best will less success. Watch what the plumber does and learn.

Best Wishes

Author: sum (FL)

I also had a recent clog in the kitchen.

I tried snaking it myself from below the sink, using a 1/4" manual snake, then a 3/8" toilet auger. I was only attempting to clear the blockage in the trap arm. Once I determine the clog was beyond that point, I called in a pro. I think if you don't know how to use a snake it's not something to learn as you go.

You can read about my episode of kitchen drain clog here.

[www.plbg.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.