Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Quick set base for fiberglas tube has never set up solid
Author: Ultraglide62 (WA)

i contracted to have a fiberglas tube base set in a new cabin that I am building. They did not set the tube in a quick set cement base. I was able to access the back of the tub so lined the tub cavity with plastic over the sub floor and was able to compact cement in the cavity under the tub. I expected the concrete to set solid within a day but it has never set solid. When I stand in the tub I can hear and feel liquid squishing under my feet.
The tub is fiberglas and boats are made of Fiberglas and they float so I am not worried about the integrity of the tub. The squishing sound and feel does not sit well with me.
The concrete mixture was mixed correctly but I think because of the plastic liner it did not get air and set correctly.
Any ideas on how to drain the water without destroying the tub?
Thanks
Ultraglide62

Re: Quick set base for fiberglas tube has never set up solid
Author: steve (CA)

What water are you wanting to drain? Concrete will set up hard under water, so being on plastic will have no affect. What does the tub manufacturer say about filling under the tub?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you filled the tub with water so that the weight kept it down in the concrete, you should either A)Let the concrete finish curing or cool smileyDrain the water and disconnect the drain and water supplies and set the tub again. If you use Durabond 90, you will have 90 minutes from the time that water hits the powder to get the tub in position correctly and get some weight in it. Figure at least 15 minutes less because it starts to drastically harden in the last few minutes. The last corner tub I set like that we used plastic below and on top of the durabond in case anyone ever had to remove it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I do not know what you used or how you mixed it, but concrete "sets up" within an hour or so, then continues to cure. It does NOT stay soft for days and weeks.

Author: packy (MA)

scoop it all out and fill the space with minimal expanding foam. if you have walked in the tub before the cement was set, you may have created ad 1/4 space between the two..

Thanks for your responses
Author: Ultraglide62 (WA)

Thanks for your responses. Apparently putting the concrete in plastic was not the problem. I will continue to research my problem. I sure hope the tub does not have a leak! I did put water in the tub and at that time I did not find any leakage.
Ultraglide

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.