Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Combining and Moving Vent Stacks
Author: rbj (CO)

Greetings, Iā€™m having solar PV installed on roof. The roof is being replaced due to hailstorm and the solar installer asked for a "clean" roof. This way it will have fewer gaps between panels and have a better look to it. The items I need to move are -

Vent Stacks (2-2ā€, 1-3ā€)

1. Ok to put 30-degree angle and run over to other side (15') and then vertical?

2. Should I combine all the stacks into the 3" for the cross-attic run?

Bathroom Vents (two in roof)

3. Roof, Soffit, or Gable ā€“ I get conflicting recommendations. Suggestions? Long run across attic and then up effective?
Thanks rbj

Re: Combining and Moving Vent Stacks
Author: packy (MA)

you can combine them all as long as you can maintain the pitch of the pipes.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Also, if you can keep any roof penetrations at a roughly horizontal or vertical line as you see it from the ground it will help. If you can put them in line with your roof vents(for ventilation) it will look good.

Thanks, I'll keep at least a .25 to 1 incline transiting the attic. Appreciate the advise. rbj

Author: sum (FL)

Question, this practice of combining vents...after my recent struggle to unclog my kitchen line, and the difficulty involved in snaking the line from the roof because the line was not vertical (had an offset), I wonder by combining vents like this, you are making it virtually impossible to snake the drains from the roof right? Unless there is a cleaout in the attic where all the tie ins are, and someone can be in the attic, with the CO open, and "guiding" the snake into the right branch?

I know it can be snaked from a lower cleanout, but in my case they didn't put one in in 1955, and some people don't like snaking inside due to the tendency for the drain snake to splash muddy prints all over the walls.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

getting on a roof in Colorado isn't going to be feasible for half the year. better to clean from inside and hang some newsprint in the cabinets.

Author: mr leak (CA)

when hell freezes over I'll go on the roof to snake thru a roof vent

Thanks, all. laugh

Thanks, all. Now that the snow has hit and I broke my ankle - spring time is when it all happens. Yep, and no roof snaking for me. rbj

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.