Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Questions about water softeners
Author: javaqueen601 (CO)

Do water softeners that use salt affect the taste of drinking water? With higher end brands such as Kinetico do you still have the "slimy skin" feeling? Would I need to add some sort of water filtration system on top of the softener?

Would gardens be ruined by watering with the water because of salt in the water? What is the difference between softeners and systems such as the Aquasana or Halo 5 system?

Re: Questions about water softeners
Author: KCRoto (MO)

"Do water softeners that use salt affect the taste of drinking water?"
I can taste the difference and I don't like it at all. Some people love it. I think if you were raised in hard water and that is all you generally drink, you wouldn't like it; This being said, you may not be able to tell the difference

"With higher end brands such as Kinetico do you still have the "slimy skin" feeling?"
I don't know, but it may be an adjustment issue that could solve it.

Would I need to add some sort of water filtration system on top of the softener?"
That would be up to you and would be affected more by your water chemistry in your specific area.

Would gardens be ruined by watering with the water because of salt in the water?"
Salt water isn't good for plants at all. You can solve this by having your hose faucets branch off the rest of the water system before the softener system so that it never receives any salt.

What is the difference between softeners and systems such as the Aquasana or Halo 5 system?"
Sorry, I don't deal with them or keep up on them.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Questions about water softeners
Author: hj (AZ)

To me, soft water tastes flat, which is how I determine if a softener is working. There is no "salt" in soft water but there is sodium which is why those on low sodium diets either use Potassium chloride or get a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. If you water plants with soft water, you also want to use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride in the softener.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.