Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewage pump pressure switch issue
Author: mijclarke (IL)

I installed a 1/2 hp residential sewage pump with a pressure float switch (iON SHV401-11) in my ejector pit (basement bathroom). I initially installed the switch at the higher recommended position but the pump never kicked on. I lowered it several times until the pump automatically kicked on. The final position is only 4 or 5 inches above the bottom of the pit. What scares me is that I checked the water level today and it was only a quarter inch below the bottom of the inlet pipe. I flushed my 1.6 gpf toilet and luckily the pump kicked on. The manual mentioned something about getting a more sensitive pressure switch if you are having specific problems. There is a floor drain that ties into the pit (furnace condensate) and I've glanced at it several times to make sure it doesn't overflow. It hasn't. Other notes: there is a 1/8 inch weep hole located closer to the pits cover than the bottom (originally had it lower but I thought it was lowering the pressure needed to activate switch). It was clean when the pump was installed and the shower was used a few times without issues. Am I in the clear or should I replace/fix my pressure switch? Thanks for your help

Re: Sewage pump pressure switch issue
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

As long as the pump is coming on before the water level reaches the inlet pipe, I'd say it's ok.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Make sure you have a way to pull the pump out of the pit if it is full… like a galvanized chain attached to the bail on the pump and connected to the wall of the top of the pit.

Author: hj (AZ)

Does the cord from the switch have a small plastic "equalizer" tube inside it? If so, and the plug is not installed so it points downward, moisture can get into it and that will affect the turn on/off points.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.