Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Best Way to Secure a Shower Fixture
Author: caf210 (NY)

I'm installing a shower fixture (faucets). I'm placing a 2 x 4 behind behind it, between the studs.

This is what the fixture looks like:

What is the best, proper, or typical way to secure this to the wood? Pipe clamps? Pipe straps? Something else? Does it matter, as long as it is secure?

Thanks!

Re: Best Way to Secure a Shower Fixture
Author: hj (AZ)

The "thing that matters" is that you should not be using that type of valve for a shower. The requirement is basically that it be "scald resistant" to the user, and that by definition usually requires a single handle pressure balanced or thermostatic valve. As far as that one is concerned, it makes no difference HOW you fasten it, just that you do. And further, IF I were installing a valve like that, it would NOT be that one.

Thank you for your input.

Yes, my other shower has the scald resistant valve in it, so I am well familiar with them.

If these are not, then, proper for showers, what application would you use such a valve for? I can't picture this fixture, which came as a kit with nice bronze-finished handles and a shower head, for anything else other than a shower or a tub. Why do they sell it if it shouldn't be used? (I'm not debating, just asking.)

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.... because they will find someone to buy it

generally NOT a plumber

... you asked

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Well, be that as it may, I have my reasons why this is the valve type the I am choosing to install.

The "usually NOT a plumber" bit kind of sounds like a jab. No, I'm not a plumber. I was more looking towards the "DIY tips" in the site's definition. Just remember, everyone is a layman or DIYer in some things. You own a computer? If you were talking to me about the Internet—my profession—I could make you feel stupid, too.

Author: steve (CA)

That valve is allowed, if you have other means to prevent scalding. A stand alone anti-scald or pressure balancer is available to protect the user when this type of shower valve is used.

Thank you, Steve. I appreciate your thoughts on this. smiling smiley

Author: vic (CA)

Since some here have informed you already (a good thing) as well as it appears that you are aware of the legal requirements regarding scald protecting valves I don't need to mention that and feel that I can give you my 2 cents worth in regards to 2 handled shower faucets.

Over 5 years ago in my own home during the last remodel I installed a Kohler brand 2 handled lever faucet and I still love it.

Personally I much prefer almost any brand of 2 handled lever faucet (with ceramic cartridge) to any brand of 1 handle scald protection shower faucet. I do recognize that in some cases the resale value of my home can be affected as some whole house inspectors during a sale can/will write up the fact that a house doesn't have scald protecting valves. I would think that in rentals not installing a scald protecting valve during remodeles or additions could be a potential for liability.

In other words .... I don't ever "recommend" installing 2 handles valve however have now shared with you wink wink what I did for my own home. smile

--

As far as installation:

Many plumbers use metal plumbers tape (strapping). Some use straps. Personally when I was a plumbing contractor I used mostly thick plumbers tape/strapping and more than I thought necessary. In other words I preferred to "overkill" with plenty of metal plumbers tape.

Additional note:
One of the most common mistakes with installing shower/tub valves is not getting the finished wall (tile or whatever) to match up with (be close to) what the manufacturer shows the finished wall needs to be. Meaning where the valve sticks out too much or not far enough which can be a big issue with the escutcheons.

The best of luck with your project.

DITTO

...Internet—my profession—I could make you feel stupid, too.

already am - I 'bought in' to the entire circle j

I could have hired a researcher the few times I actually NEEDED the web instead of spending $Ks over the years on hardware and software.

I am now running Win 7 pro with Quad 4 and 16 gig RAM ~ smiling smiley done for a while smiling smiley

It does, however, break the boredom by allowing 'chat' with amateurs.

"Selling" something, and it being "legal or proper to use" are two completely different things. When they sell it to you, YOU are responsible for ensuring that it is the proper item and properly installed. It CAN be used for a "tub only" application, but then you would not need the center diverter valve.

well, since I was a senior system's analyst and programmer at a university, and constructed and operated a 60 computer system at an elementary school that might not be true.

Good luck getting him to install one of those.

Thanks to all for the input.

Vic: you had great input. Thank you.

hj and others: Thank you, as well.

As for the talk about computers and such, regardless of whether it's the perfect example or not for this group, that's not the point. The point is that we can't all be pros at everything, and if this forum (plbg.com) welcomes amateurs and DIY's, then (in my humble opinion) you shouldn't really speak to them like they're fools.

I am not a contractor or pro, and I recognize fully my position as a "weekend warrior" of home improvement. And because of that, I have the utmost respect for professionals. In fact, when I speak to them in person and attempt to "talk shop," I let them know that up front, so they don't think that I am diminishing their trade by pretending "I do what you do." I know I'm a layman and "hobbyist" almost.

But, that said, over the last 15 years of homeownership, I have basically gutted my entire house and done a ton of jobs and nothing has blown up yet or looks so egregiously bad that anyone says anything but "Nice place you have here." And, for the most part, I enjoy doing the work.

Thanks to all for the input.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks to all for the input.

WE are not here to tell you that just because you think it will look good and work fine that it is all hunky dorey. WE will tell you if it should NOT be done that way and then you can go ahead and do whatever you intended to originally anyway.

Author: m & m (MD)

I just appreciate the fact that your nails are trimmed close.

Author: hi (TX)

I just use some pipe strap usually copper coated and screw them puppies to the 2X$ with sheetrock screws.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.