Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 cast iron stack replacement with pvc
Author: demdi75 (MA)

I found a wet dining room wall recently and with a friend's help tore into the wall. I knew that my cast iron sewer stack abuts the wall and was afraid of a leak. We opened up the wall all the way to the ceiling and around the lower part of the wall that was wet. The wall is lathe and horse hair plaster.

The horizontal crack is significant, measuring at least 3 feet in length. It is patched with silicone for now so I can take a shower and use the upstairs bathroom, though I'm trying to do it minimally. I have a half bath downstairs at least. I noticed up on the ceiling there is a cast iron hub/joint and it veers left and forms a Y. To the left is where my toilet and bathroom upstairs drains.

Had a licensed plumber (friend of my nephew) over last weekend who said he could do a repair and section it with PVC with the proper fittings (Ferno, I believe). It's a tight spot for sure as it abuts another wall on the other side. Going straight up is where it meets the roof and vents the sewer gases. This is the area that plumber would make the repair and go straight into the basement and remove another section of pipe that elbows into the main drain. $550 was his quote for the job. This seemed reasonable but I asked another plumber to come take a look.

Plumber B came and looked at it. He said he could also section it with PVC but that's not up to code, that the correct thing is to install cast but it is going to be a very intensive project costing me at least $1500 with parts and labor. He is concerned that I may get future leaks as the cast continues on up. He is more concerned about the weight of the cast iron pipe above the pvc repair. I'm also concerned with this. UGH

I asked Plumber B about outfitting the entire stack going up to the roof with PVC and he said he could do that but I would have to break into my bathroom walls and then at that point, I may want to consider a bathroom remodel while that was the case. I know that a remodel was done sometime in the mid 80s as the toilet has a PVC drain and piping underneath it and the sink is all pvc piping (not sure about the tub but that was also an 80s project. I had been thinking of a remodel at some point but not now. To be honest, I'm undecided about staying in the house for more than a few years.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't know what to do. Not really ready for a remodel. I'm now thinking about doing everything PVC going up to the roof.

Re: cast iron stack replacement with pvc
Author: packy (MA)

id go with the 550 repair..

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would tend toward the first repair, but when the pipe is cut, you can visually inspect the wall thickness of the pipe to make sure it will remain sound. In addition, I would add wooden blocking between the studs above the area that will be removed so that you can anchor that cast down firmly in case it wasn't done properly, or straps have been busted during the last remodel.

Author: hj (AZ)

Plumber "B" is "stiffing" you. The ONLY difference between using PVC and cast iron is the cost of the material. The labor is almost exactly the same. Plumber "A' should NOT use "Fernco" couplings to make the insertion, however. Since there is a bathroom above the break, there is NO WAY the upper pipe can come down.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i would use fernco's since they will act as slip couplings. additionally they are more friendly to slightly different pipe outside diameters.
yes, they are against code but sometimes you gotta do what makes sense..

Author: demdi75 (MA)

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm not totally sure he's using fernco's in the inside connection but he is downstairs. I'll know for sure on Saturday.

Author: Jbbenni (GA)

Just curious - HJ, if you recommend not using fernco to join the PVC to CI, then what would be the best way to do it? Are you saying it should be done all with CI, or just use something other than the fernco for the transition? (If something else, then what?)

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

The term "fernco" usually implies a non-shielded coupling. Usually a shielded coupling is what is required.

Author: hj (AZ)

When you change materials, you should use a "transition coupling" which is sized for the various o.d. of the materials. The rubber "Fernco" is a "one size fits all" device.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.