Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 HELP Air coming out of toilet and bath tub drains. Neither will drain.
Author: MasterMason2013 (SC)

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone could tell me what it likely the cause of the problem I am experiencing.

I first noticed the problem the other day when showering and the water started to accumulate around my ankles.

I assumed the problem was localized to the tub as I recently bathed my cat there and thought there was perhaps a hairball and tried to plunge it out. Upon plunging I started to hear and see air being pushed out of the toilet (the toilets water is also not sitting at normal levels either high or low depending on ?)

I believe I have a blockage down the line somewhere, and i assume I need to purchase a snake to clear a blockage.

Would this be the proper course of action? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone with more experience can offer.

Edit* As I sit here at the computer I can hear air bubbles working their way up my kitchen sink,

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited 2 times.

Re: HELP Air coming out of toilet and bath tub drains. Neither will drain.
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Your main sewer line is blocked up. Call a professional drain cleaning service and have them clean the main line. Any piece of drain cleaning equipment that you can buy for less than the price of a professional cleaning isn't worth the wasted money. It is also heavy, dirty, and dangerous to an untrained person. Rental drain cleaning machines are perhaps even worse than that; they tend to have damaged cables, and may be sprayed down with wd-40 to inhibit rust. It is not worth the potential danger to attempt cleaning your own sewer line in hopes of saving a few dollars.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

DITTO

unless you can rent AND operate:

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Based on what info you provided, I would NOT take the next step of becoming a Quasi-Plumber. The reasons are obvious and numerous.

Hire a licensed plumber and take a lesson from a real plumber and learn what you did wrong.
Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; i assume I need to purchase a snake to clear a blockage.

HAVING a snake is NOT the same as knowing how to use it. Save your money.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.