Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hose bid without interior shut off value
Author: dcox (IL)

I live outside Chicago and am purchasing a new home built by Toll Brothers. The house does not have a basement and is built on a slab. Surprisingly the plumber, with the builders sign off, installed an outside hose bid without an interior shut off value. They did install a "frost freeze" faucet however the supply line runs up from the slab horizontally approx. 2 feet before turning horizontal to the exterior. A frost free faucet will have no impact on the horizontal portion of the line.

There are numerous other homes with this same installation method. The plumber and builder insist the insulation is sufficient and there were no problems last winter in similar models. What questions should I ask about the insulation to quantify their position?

Re: Hose bid without interior shut off value
Author: sherlock457 (VA)

I would first ask him to look at the plumbing code. All sillcocks, hose bibbs are required to have an individual shut-off valve. Chicago Municipal Plumbing Code Section ยง 18-29-606.2 Location of shutoff valves.

Re: Hose bid without interior shut off value
Author: hj (AZ)

when I was in Chicago, I never installed "interior shutoff valves" on freeze resistant faucets. And here, where it seldom freezes we NEVER install them on any outside faucet. In your case, however even if you had a shut off valve, is the piping arranged so you could drain that section inside the wall?

Re: Hose bibb without interior shut off value

No, there is no access to the section inside the wall and it is feeding off of other lines below the slab.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Your builder saved a lot of money. Your plumber and seller won't be around for long, once the contract has been signed. Ask the builder, if THEIR house has indoor shut offs. I believe you have get your 20 years out of those frost-free hydrants.... but what if you don't. That is the risk you accept when buying a new home. What else did they do in the house to save money while cutting costs.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

In that case, HOW would you drain the line if you shut it off? The idea for using freeze resistant hose valves is so you DO NOT have to shut them off in the winter time.

Thanks for the comments.

I was mistaken, I looked at how the line is installed in other homes and the line does not run vertically inside the outside wall. The line stubs up from below the slab into an interior wall that is perpendicular to the outside wall. The line turns horizontal to go through the exterior wall with the frost free faucet attaching to the line before the line exits the interior wall. If the frost free faucet works as designed and is installed correctly it should be fine. Thanks for the comments.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Be sure to disconnect the hose and drain it before the weather drops below freezing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.