Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Caroma toilets anyone?
Author: sum (FL)

A local high end plumbing and hardware store is having a once a year clearance sale. I am closing on a triplex next week, and still part time rehabing my disastrous duplex and will need about four new toilets.

Well they have for sale a number of toilets, one of them is of a brand Caroma - model Sydney, a two piece dual flush toilet, with one of those fancy slow close lid. Original price $500+ marked down to around $100. I have never heard of this brand before, so I did some online searches and found this youtube video claims it has this 4" nicely curved 4" trapway that will never clog.

[www.youtube.com]

The flushing pretty impressive.

In reading the reviews however, it seems to be on two extremes.

On one hand, people are complaining about very low water level in the bowl, causing the walls to be dirty all the time, and while flushing, the splashing is so strong it splashes on the person or the back of the lid.

On the other hand, many said it's the best toilet they ever had since no more plunging.

So anyone have installed one of these? Comments? My hunch is to stay away.

Re: Caroma toilets anyone?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I have seen complaints about the Toto Drake not washing down the sides as well as some, but it takes some work to get it to clog. Personally, it is a heck of a deal on a good toilet, I would use Clorox with teflon spray on it before you even turn the water on if you can. If cleaned on a regular basis, stuff won't stick to that anyway. My wife used to use it for the whole bathroom till we kept slipping on the shower floor…
takes about a month to wear off.
edit - apparently they don't make it anymore so never mind.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Too many specialty parts in the tank for your renters to play with and mess up. Pass on it.

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

I've got 3 in this place and one in a rental. Never any issues besides occasional bowl cleaning. Nothing gets stuck in them with a 4" trapway. don't use bleach or tablets in the water tank, it will eat the seal and will leak into the bowl after awhile. the ones here are the sidney tank with the caravelle standard base, and the one at the rental is a one piece caravelle fully skirted, concealed trapway. I like that one better, but they all seem to be reliable and flush properly with zero clogs.

Edited 1 times.

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

if it's splashing, the water level is past the max fill line in the tank. you can dial in how much water is in the tank, and if it is too much, it will push more water than necessary and can splash. after a simple adjustment to bring the water level down, they have been fine.

Author: Rick Laser (CA)

We have a Caroma Sydney and we love it. No more clogs.

The water level is pretty low so occasionally the interior of the bowl needs to be wiped. But there is a strong cascade of water during flushes so that cleans the bowl in most cases.Adults learn to position themselves properly for "big" jobs.

Water will splash out a bit during flushes. If that is a problem Caroma is not for you.

This is the model on sale for $133 and an additional 25% off which makes it $100 including of the soft closing lid.

I am thinking it's good for rental because it would not clog if it has a 4" trapway.

It has this thing, so it does not use a normal wax ring?

Author: packy (MA)

you put a wax ring on the existing flange and bolt their offset adapter to the flange.

packy, thanks.

I am looking at the Caroma video install instructions here:

[www.youtube.com]

As you said, you bolt down the plastic collar to the wax ring, then lower the toilet bowl in place. From the video, it seems the actual bowl is not bolted down at all? Just a bead of caulk around the bottom?

Or is there?

Reading reviews I came across these comments:

"The video on Costco's website doesn't mention securing the toilet to the floor with anything but caulk. There are however screw holes in the back of the toilet that can be a little difficult to get to, but not impossible. Find something long and thin to mark the floor as a pen or marker won't work due to the depth/size of the screw holes."

"My installer that's had 25 years of experience had never seen anything quite like this toilet and was not able to install it. He called in another very experienced installer that works for a major home improvement chain and he couldn't install it either. They both recommended that I purchase another toilet locally."

So there are bolt holes in the rear to secure the toilet but they are not in the "typical location"? Does that mean one needs to drill holes into the subfloor for bolt anchors in addition to the standard two holes on the sides of the flange?

chadschloss78 I kept hearing about this toilet being very splashy.

Your comment suggested that this can be resolved with a lower water level adjustment in the tank?

The reason I am interested in this toilet is the 4" trapway just seems like a great one to have at that price to not have to deal with tenant clogging issues, but I don't know if it being splashy is a deal killer.

If it can be fixed by dialing in a lower tank water level I may go and buy two on Friday.

Author: techfai (AZ)

Water Efficiency: Caroma is committed to water conservation, and many of their toilets are designed to be highly water-efficient. They often use dual-flush technology, allowing users to choose between a full flush for solid waste and a partial flush for liquid waste. This can help reduce water consumption and lower water bills.

Innovative Design: Caroma toilets are known for their sleek and modern designs. They offer a range of styles, including back-to-wall toilets, wall-faced toilets, and close-coupled toilets, to suit different bathroom aesthetics.

Sustainability: Caroma places a strong emphasis on sustainability and eco-friendly manufacturing practices. Their toilets are designed to have a minimal environmental impact, from water conservation to using recyclable materials.

Rimless Technology: Many Caroma toilets feature rimless bowl designs, which eliminate the traditional rim around the bowl. This design makes cleaning easier and more hygienic, as there are no hidden crevices where dirt and bacteria can accumulate.

Soft-Close Seats: Caroma often includes soft-close toilet seats with their toilets. These seats close gently and quietly, preventing loud slamming and reducing wear and tear.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.