Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Why Jet a Pipe?
Author: condo-owner (CA)

I am trying to understand an explanation that our condominium management company gave for some plumbing charges in our building. The description of the work was "jet a pipe". The reason given for the work was to address a slow leak.

Is there any way this makes sense? Couldn't it turn a slow leak into something worse if the pipe is compromised?

Re: Why Jet a Pipe?
Author: hj (AZ)

You "jet" a drain because it is stopped up. I have NEVER heard of jetting a pipe because of a leak.

Author: Jjar8504 (PA)

Possibly the drain was running slow filling the drain with waste creating pressure in the drain and then a leak that would not normally show up under normal conditions

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You are correct. Jetting a pipe is typically reserved for extremely long lines that are impractical to cable, larger than what can be cabled, or full of grease or sludge. Jetting is like a 360 degree power washing for the pipes. If someone is charging you for jetting for a leak, they have some explaining to do. If you have a leak in a pipe on commercial property, I recommend getting it fixed promptly, as soon as is feasible. I say that because if it is 30' up in a stairwell, it will take special equipment to do it safely.

Author: Miles123 (NJ)

Actually mainly drain lines are blogged due to the grease,sludge, sand and debris and it becomes slow in the use then Jetting is the solution to remove that Sludge and Grease to make line clear. You have to ask them for the details of work what they did exactly. what kind of Leak repair they did?? Make sure about specific charge for it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Jetting may be required to clear and clean the interior of a waste system.. to allow for proper inspection.
How old is your condo and was it built as a condo from the ground up or was it a converted apartment building? What material is used in the main drain pipes? Cast Iron vs PVC?
Was any defect exposed and what repairs were suggested. Was a video done?

Best Wishes

That would NOT be a reason to "jet the pipe". In fact, since jetting would create unusual pressure in the line, it would NOT be advised if the pipe were leaking.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It can provide a "unique" texture to the walls in a home, when the clog doesn't readily clear. My city was able to render a home unlivable, recently.

Around Kansas City Missouri, the city only jets from downstream for that very reason.

I have never heard of any municipality that services the house lateral lines.

They don't, but the city mains are jetted in that manner.

Author: sum (FL)

A couple of years back I had a chronic clog in my line every six to nine months. Not roots but sand. There is a break somewhere. The drain company come to jet the line from the downstream cleanout where the line exits the house. They insert the jet and sweep towards them, we can see sand being washed down.

As they push the pipe up stream, and swept downstream, eventually about 25' in they got to a sticky spot. They pushed it hard and it went further, and further, and further, then it rained.

The jet went up a vent, and went part the way up to the roof, spraying water up and eventually the water rained down on our backs.

Turned out the sticky point was a combo TY. The main line made a turn at the branch of the combo TY, the vent connects to the "top" of the TY. That combo had a break and sand was rushing in. What followed was a $20000 tunnel job to fix that combo.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.